Backing Up

Reaction score
My home consists of a G5Tower, PowerBookG4, eMac (for the kids), an old 15"G4, AppleTV, 250gig external and a 500gig external.

Lots and lots of information to loose!!

What methods of back-up and do people suggest?

If it's DVD, then what type of library do people suggest?

Reaction score
For me redundancy is key. If I favor something as being important enough to back up I do the following.

I use backup (free if you're a .mac subscriber) for archiving on a scheduled basis

I use the syncing utility as well with .mac

I have an external HD that I limit to ONLY a library of videos, photos and music in

Finally, I burn DVD's at least once every 3-6 months

I'm not sure if that helps or not. But the .mac account (at less than $10 a month) and the sync and backup utility are well worth it to me... Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I use a backup application called Déjà vu, this clones my hard drive onto another hard drive. I can boot from this back up if my drive fails and I can just clone back over if I ever have to wipe my disk. Not only that but I can of course pull individual files... which has saved me on a few occasions.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I use SuperDuper with an external 300GB hard drive to backup both my notebooks on a weekly basis. My wife is still stuck on a Windows machine, so I separate it into two 140GB partitions, one formatted for Mac and the other for Windows.

It sounds like SuperDuper is very similar to Deja Vu, except that it's universal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
It sounds like SuperDuper is very similar to Deja Vu, except that it's universal.

There is a beta version posted on their website that is UB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.