Backing Up My Mac

Reaction score
Hi All.

Computer literate but not to the lengths that the most of you are!

I want to back up all of my photos, videos, music and documents to one place. I have been looking at the latest generation time capsule but they are far too expensive at the moment. I note that the old version needs to be plugged into the computer or the router.

I want a stand alone drive, which can be locked in a cupboard upstairs and forgot about. I need about 2TB of space and something which will connect to the wireless network without being connected to anything else (other than a charger).

I dont anticipate being burgled (never tempt fate) but I do not see the point in backing up files to a unit which is sat near to the computer. My back up is not simply for hardware failures or disk space.

Hope this all makes sense.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in anticipation, John.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Connecting to a wifi network requires a "smart" device, which is why the Time Capsule is expensive.
What you've described is called Network-attached storage (NAS). Because of file transfer speeds, they're mostly ethernet rather than wifi.

You might look for a used Airport Extreme Base Station, and attach a USB drive to it to get that functionality at lower cost.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.