Backing up macbook via ethernet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 13.3 in screen with 2GB RAM and a 2.26 GHz
So i want to back up my macbook before i upgrade to snow leopard, and I do not have a external hard drive, is there a way to back up my macbook on my giant iMac i have at home? I have an ethernet cable hooked up, with all sharing turned on. I could copy files, but is there a way to use time machine and back it up that way?

Thanks
Brad

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best and easiest way is to buy an external hard drive and use Time Machine. You should be backing up both your iMac and MacBook on a regular basis anyway.

But to get back to your question... by default Time Machine is not setup to backup to a network drive. In order to do it, follow the directions given in this article: LINK

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm trying to use my iMac for my network drive, will that work for this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And what happens if the hard drive in your iMac fails? You've not only lost the data from the iMac but also the TM backup. Not a good idea. And I'm not sure it would work anyway.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im just trying to do this for my upgrade to snow leopard on my macbook pro. i am gonna buy a hard drive eventually just not right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.