• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Back in my workshop at last!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Excellent work, gents. Under no circumstances should anyone on the forum shoe these to my SWMBO. Crochet, knitting, and the like are among her favorite things to do to pass the time. If she sees those, she's going to want them.

I'm sure you could visit your local Exotic wood Supply shop and whip up some of those for her for Christmas Sly.

They could hopefully even cut you some nice pieces to your dimensions and you could do the rest with a bit of whittling, sanding and polishing etc. in no time.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Lovely John - keep up the good work and posting your pics! Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm sure you could visit your local Exotic wood Supply shop and whip up some of those for her for Christmas Sly.

They could hopefully even cut you some nice pieces to your dimensions and you could do the rest with a bit of whittling, sanding and polishing etc. in no time.

- Patrick
=======
Ever since an unfortunate incident a few decades ago involving kitchen knives, SWMBO gets a tad nervous when I start using sharp objects. :)

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Thank you Dave. As I've said before I love working with wood and that and 25 years practice has made it easier. But yesterday I took liberties with a lump on the lathe and it missed me as it went passed :oops: Luckily enough it was only a small bit and it missed :cool:

When I was in the R.A.F. all of our tools were marked with the initials AM Aunty Marie and an arrow that pointed to the end of the tool that you should stand at. Some silly people used to think that the AM stood for Air Ministry. What you need is the same sort of thing on your sharp objects Dude. By the way what's the bosses email ? I'll send her a couple of photos :whistle::whistle:

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Well Dave, you did ask mate..

An ash off cut from the local joinery

IMG_4902 copy.jpg

Rounded on my band saw

IMG_4903 copy.jpg

Turned to shape with a bit of box wood

IMG_4904 copy.jpg

Then glued, hard wax oil and microcrystaline waxed

IMG_4909 copy.jpg

I dread the day when I get fed up with being surprised with the beauty of wood. IMG_4869 copy.jpg

They will, I hope, be going to a local cake shop??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well Dave, you did ask mate..

An ash off cut from the local joinery

Rounded on my band saw

Turned to shape with a bit of box wood

Then glued, hard wax oil and microcrystaline waxed

View attachment 33129

I dread the day when I get fed up with being surprised with the beauty of wood. View attachment 33130

They will, I hope, be going to a local cake shop??

Hi John - beautiful wood - I've used ash just a few times, similar to oak in appearance, but a little cheaper from my local place in Mayodan, NC.

The pieces are as usual well done and look great - congrats!

BTW - currently reading the book below (newly published) that might interest you? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 10.59.07 AM.png

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SD, if SWMBO has a sewing machine then she definitely needs one of these
Robin bobbin box 1.jpeg
Robbin bobbin box 3.jpg

A Robin bobbin box in cedar wood. No turning this time apart from turning a solid lump into a hollow lump ;)

Chas, I had meant to thank you before for your comments on the needles. They are certainly interesting to make and getting the diameter correct.

Baseball? That's like rounders isn't it :unsure::unsure: (says John ducking low :devilish: )

Edit : - I nearly forgot. Dave, I now have that book and so far it's very fascinating. Ta for the heads up.

I have just ordered 1 cubic mtr of ash logs, so I wonder how much will end up as fire wood :love::love:

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How in the world did I miss the pics of those bobbin boxes? If SWMBO sees those I am definitely in trouble. Absolutely beautiful.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hate to tell you PB, but it ain't joinery mate, it's a band saw box :love: If it was joinery it would probably be trapezoid, what ever that is :unsure:

Thank you Tom. I love seeing what's inside lumps of wood and that makes it a lot easier. But then again, I should be at least reasonable after about 26 years of practice? And the next time a lump of wood comes flying past will not be either the first or the last bit :oops:

Now come on Dude, let's have SWMBO's email address so I can send her a pikky of some things you want to make for her :devilish:

I had another unusual commision a couple of weeks back. It was to sort out a local pub landlord's ball for him. 2 were a fair bit worse for ware and the other 3 were OK but needed tarting up a bit.

This is how I got them

IMG_20210122_134040489.jpg

And this is how they look now

Nick's balls 1.jpg

They are lignum vitae. It's the first time I've laid my hands on it and it has a sweet smell when turned and a very green sanding dust. Strange wood but lovely to turn. I had to make a pair of cup chucks to hold them and it was a real pain getting them centered

IMG_5002.JPG
IMG_5004.JPG

He's just got to come a collect them now. They are skittles balls of course O:)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now come on Dude, let's have SWMBO's email address so I can send her a pikky of some things you want to make for her :devilish:
If you do that SWMBO will certainly admire the handiwork involved but will no doubt question your sanity for suggesting I be allowed anywhere within a mile of sharp objects. :)

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh :oops:

Turning tools aren't that sharp really and if you stand at the blunt end?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey John...

How's your sport flying hobby coming along? Did you give that up since leaving France?

We have lots of enthusiasts here in Texas that love to fly their planes on the weekends. Of course right now it's still in the middle of Winter so not too much action going on.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still keeping up the flying Chas. Shame about having to land though, especially the way I do at times :unsure: No, still enjoying it lots, but a dead stop during this dammed lockdown! So I'm trying to get some more done om the DFS Habicht I've been building for years now! About 4 1/2 m span gull wing jobbie

IMG_4529 copy_edited-1.jpg

And this little fun Sopwith Camel, electric motor and great fun to fly

Sopwith Camel 05 copy.jpg

Edit : - I almost forgot to say, that's me in the background.

Attachments

• Sopwith Camel 09.jpg
    Sopwith Camel 09.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5027.JPG
    IMG_5027.JPG
    221.5 KB · Views: 31

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know which one of those I like best. The techie in me likes the first one but you can't go wrong with a Sopwith Camel. Snoopy would be proud.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are about as far away from each other as you could possibly get SD, both in tech and design. The Camel is purely made from sheet foam, I forget what type, but strong enough most of the time. The Habicht is all traditional build and a fortune in balsa! The main spar is upper and lower and the 2 are one length of larch root to tip with a steamed bend at the gull bend. That was fun to get it right?

This is a full size replica and I don't see me doing 1/2 of what the driver is doing or the smoke ! I hope to have the same colour scheme?

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know which one of those I like best. The techie in me likes the first one but you can't go wrong with a Sopwith Camel. Snoopy would be proud.

The Habicht is now finished and all I need now is the seemingly impossible, the right conditions to maiden fly it!

IMG_6937.JPG IMG_6936.JPG

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've also been learning new thing on the lathe. Like turning a bowl from a 1" thick 12" square lump.

And this

IMG_20220927_142500484.jpg

Becomes
IMG_6929.JPG

Or how's about a 10 ½" bowl from a 9 X 4 X 4 bit of ash?

IMG_7620.JPG

If there's only a 4" cube it still works like this
IMG_7634.JPG

And that lot all came from an old Indian bloke on youtube and the only thing I don't like about the bowls he turns is the very shiny finish. Other than that he is incredible!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Beautiful work on those bowls. I saw a video many years ago on one of the area's educational channels explaining how it is done. Fascinating.

I used to watch those kinds of shows more often than now. If I even look like I am contemplating such a hobby, Mrs. Slydude points out that I am rather clumsy while handling sharp objects. This is followed closely by predictions of massive blood loss, loss of limbs/appendages, and the prospect of extended hospital stays. :D

BTW, she is thoroughly enjoying the boxes that you made for me.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Beautiful work on those bowls. I saw a video many years ago on one of the area's educational channels explaining how it is done. Fascinating.

I used to watch those kinds of shows more often than now. If I even look like I am contemplating such a hobby, Mrs. Slydude points out that I am rather clumsy while handling sharp objects. This is followed closely by predictions of massive blood loss, loss of limbs/appendages, and the prospect of extended hospital stays. :D

BTW, she is thoroughly enjoying the boxes that you made for me.
I'm really glad she likes the boxes! And thank you for your kind comment. Turning is addictive and once started can take over, but it's lovely to do and good fun as well.

Turning tools, apart from skew chisels, aren't very sharp. It's bits coming off the lathe at 2000 rpm that you have to be prepared to duck for :eek:. Then it's duck or grouse!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.