Automatic Software Upgrade Notices

Reaction score
I used to receive automatic software upgrade notices that showed the programs being upgraded and provided the option to install them or not.

The latest couple of notices offer only "Restart" and "Remind Me Later" options..no mention of the software being upgraded.

I took a chance on the most recent notice and choose Restart. All went well, and supposedly, software of some kind was upgraded, but I have no idea what it was.

Is there a way to know what's being upgraded before deciding to do so?

Any idea why the old process was changed?

M

MacInWin

Open System Preferences/App Store and change the tick marks for Install app updates and Install OS X updates. now you will be prompted that updates are available. Whether or not you allow it to download in the background is up to you. Same for the other items.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Might help if you told us what OS X you have installed?

At the moment, I have Mavericks (10.9.5) on my Macs - the options for Updates can be found in System Preferences under the App Store - attached is how I have the update process selected; I assume that if only the 'Automatically check for updates...' box was ticked, then a notification would appear w/ the options.

Also, if you open the App Store and check Updates (far right top), then a list of recent updates will be shown - how this list is presented will likely depend on your choices in System Preferences - so take a look in these areas & make adjustments desired and see if their effect(s) is more agreeable. Dave

Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 12.37.52 PM.png

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks to MacInWin and RadDave. Since I can ask, I'll take the opportunity: It still appears that before you are asked to decide on download or not, you are not told which apps are being updated. The list in App Store that Dave mentioned looks like an "after-the-fact" item.

BTW: I'm also running 10.9.5 on a MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Maybe you have selected the 'Install' option? Personally I like to see what is going 'in' before installing.

M

MacInWin

In the MAS, if you go to the "Updates" tab, any pending updates will appear at the top, above the break to the installed updates history. IN every case I have been able to see what was going to be updated and what the developer had to say about the update. All I have checked in that area is "Automatically check for updates," "Download newly available updates in the background," "Install system data files and security updates" and "Automatically download apps purchased on other Macs." With those settings, when I start the App store app, it checks for updates, starts downloading them invisibly, updates the security files from Apple and then let's me decide when to install the updates that have been downloaded. If you want more control, uncheck the download boxes and just have it check for updates, no downloads, no installs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.