Automatic Backup?

M

mdscouter

Only had a my Mac for 1 yr and I was wondering if there is an automatic backup for OS X or do I need third party software? If so, what would people recommend.

I just purchased an external HDD after many Kernal problems. But the automatic program that came with it keeps giving me execution errors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
if you want to backup your whole disk the carbon copy cloner(CCC) will do the job, its a free-ware and can make boot-able backups, so you can start up from backup if something happens to your internal HD and you need to repair it.

the other solution is lacie's silverkeeper. its good for backing up specific folders and files.

I use them both, for over several months and no problems so far.
one suggestion though: if you planing to use CCC make partition on the external disk thats the same size as your startup disk. CCC can only copy to the volumes and not folders. so if you have some files on the external HD CCC will remove them when it synchronizes the disks.

OP
M

m-sambo

If you don't mind using the terminal and are backing up folders look at rsync. Perfect for use with an external HDD, lightning fast, can be automated using cron and free!

Mike

OP
M

mdscouter

What is the terminal? Does that come on my Mac? Does rsync?

I already partitioned the external HDD into two 58 GB sections so making one a bootable backup drive is not a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
terminal is unix command line interface. it comes with every mac but if you do not know scripting language, stay away. you need to know unix commands to use it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.