Authenticate admin username password - Automatically ??? How ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The problem I have with MAC OSX is that I can not do what "I" want to do. Yes yes, I understand the 'security' issues, but what apple fails to understand is the need for deversity, these OS's at some point need to be tweaked. AND somebody WILL.

If you want to get 'under the hood' and tinker, there's nothing stopping you. Open terminal and you're away. Use the 'sudo su' command to give yourself ultimate root access (i.e. it isn't automatically revoked after the command) and then trash the system to your heart's content. Or fix it. Or tweak it. Or whatever.

I have loads of stuff running or available on my mac that was only possible through messing around at the command line. This includes some X11 apps that have no OS X binaries, MySQL and a customised Apache2, and some messing with printer drivers. There was nothing preventing me from doing this - at the end of the day OS X is just another *nix system - but it's not all possible through the GUI. This is how it should be.

The top layer is there for day to day use, and to make it easy for new people to get into the system and use it. It's there for people who don't want to know how it all works to be productive, and a way for those who DO know how it works to hide it when it's not required. Crack open your command shell, read up on some BSD basics and get stuck in - it's all good fun!

OP
L

Logan

rman said:
If you want to break a unix system fast, do something like you have stated above.

That's pretty much what he said he wanted to do:

"If I could, I would remove every peice of security junk on here, its worthless to an experienced user... But just removing the authinticate password would be a good start :)
Any ideas ?"

Hey he's the one asking for automatic authentication of admin username and password, that's the equivalent of not having security at all.

removing every piece of security junk: My command.

He wants to modify security-sensitive files without being prompted, so that means he is experienced enough not to use 3rd party software that will maliciously modify his files and documents.

But it's his call, I never said it was a smart thing to do. :p

Honestly, removing the admin authentication, even if it's an option, is not smart either. So I assumed this was a "What if" world of "Let's break OS X I don't care" type of article. That's how he seems to talk. smart, advanced users wouldn't ask how to remove security...

Anyways. i'm blabbering.

OP
B

BaLLZaCH

Cazabam, yes, I understand the 'top layer' is crap. You have to know what you are doing, to do anything productive. That is greatly understood...

This is what I am asking how to do. That is what I am asking.

----
"I try to do something that I cant"

Well my point is, "WHY cant you"... or "How do you..."
You'all focus too much on the givens, I understand the "givens" I am simply trying to figure out the POSSIBILITIES.

I guess that would make too much sense......
?????.......

----

Honestly, removing the admin authentication, even if it's an option, is not smart either. So I assumed this was a "What if" world of "Let's break OS X I don't care" type of article.

Logan, thank you for at least making an argument. As an example, as a local family based LAN, I dont CARE about security as far as my users' entering a password. I am sick of them asking. I honestly could care less. Now does this reduce my '''security''' - YES. But my simple argument is that there should be an 'OPTION', not a "Given"....

JUST trying to learn OSX, options, and ways to make it do what I want, whether it be right or wrong to others.....

--------

I do appricaite all information, be it general or not, I would say the same thing about Windows, Dos, Nissans, Cheap houses, anything... I'm trying to understand WHY. I'm not trying to start a fight ..... :-/ Cmon now ....

Well,
Thanks anyways....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Cazabam, yes, I understand the 'top layer' is crap. You have to know what you are doing, to do anything productive. That is greatly understood...

This is what I am asking how to do. That is what I am asking.

I suppose it depends entirely on how you define 'productive'. However, if you want to get under the hood take a look at the OS X 'Missing Manual' or for something a little more 'hardcore' try The Mac OS X Command line: Unix under the hood or similar. These will give you much better insight into how to make it do all the cool unixy things that it's capable of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Logan, thank you for at least making an argument. As an example, as a local family based LAN, I dont CARE about security as far as my users' entering a password. I am sick of them asking. I honestly could care less. Now does this reduce my '''security''' - YES. But my simple argument is that there should be an 'OPTION', not a "Given"....

If that's the case, just set up multiple users and make them all admins, giving everyone their own password.

Jeez, the OS was designed for situation just like this, you just need to know how to set it up accordingly.

Again: The only time I'm ever asked my admin password is when I'm modifying the /Library or /System or one of their sub-folders. That's IT.

Apps, Utilities and my Home folder items I can delete as many as I want, without a password being required.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.