• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Attempting to use OS 9 in 2014

Reaction score
actually a good read but i wouldn't have used mac os 9 for internet think of it more for using a computer as a computer running word excel powerpoint listening to music watching movies basic things

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A pretty interesting article…glad they took the time to write it. Probably more interesting for folks who never used OS 9 natively. I certainly could have told the author of the article in 10 seconds what their conclusions would be.

You can do lots of things on an older Mac computer running OS 9…as long as you don't need to use the internet. Otherwise you can do lots of useful things…word processing, spreadsheet work, page layout, photo editing, etc. Of course as long as someone had access to very old software.

The article is also very good for all of the useful website links (topic specific websites, software, abandonware, etc).

Overall…and interesting read.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
yep this is why we have abandonware sites because if you bought it legally own it and the disk is damaged or corrupted and the product is no longer produced or copyrighted it goes to abandon ware where hobbeist
computer tech geeks can go and play

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ohh yes. I definitely have some original OS 9 (and earlier) compatible software on floppy disk. And if the floppy hasn't degraded over time…the floppy drives in the computers have definitely worn to the point that it doesn't read the floppies correctly (or some of both).

On the other hand…I'm always extremely surprised/pleased to boot up a 20 year-old Mac…pop an OS floppy disk into the floppy drive (or a software floppy)…and the disk mounts on the desktop no problem…and files are read no problem.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Antiquated? Antiquated?

OS 9 was the bees knees coming from OS 7.0.1, via 7.6..1 and 8.6!

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Antiquated? Antiquated?
As someone who started using Mac OS as of 10.4 and was in high school when OS9 was released, I'm sticking with my word choice. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And no mnention of OS 7.0.1 you ungrateful, spoilt child?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a few older macs with OS9 but they are in storage. Time to get one out! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My sole exposure to the classic Mac OS was in college back in... oh... 1988? I honestly didn't care for it and thought DOS-based apps were superior for their rapid navigation with keyboard commands (in Lotus, for example). I still miss WordPerfect. *sniffle*

C

chas_m

I can still run OS 9 on-demand, thanks to sheepshaver, in Yosemite. I find however, that as time goes by, I have less and less desire to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Couple of years ago I caught the retro-computer bug, and thought it would be fun to resurrect an OS/2, as I had some warm and fuzzy memories of that [time] ... turns out it's a pile of old cr@p :(

However, not surprisingly, SunOS 4.1 on SPARCstation felt rather cute.

Anyway I'm glad the retro-bug has gone ;)

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Couple of years ago I caught the retro-computer bug, and thought it would be fun to resurrect an OS/2, as I had some warm and fuzzy memories of that [time] ... turns out it's a pile of old cr@p :(
I wonder if this is, in part, becoming accustomed to what technology can offer you now. In other words, however much nostalgia might paint a pretty picture and however much those machines were capable in the past, they can't possibly match up to what we have now which tarnishes that feeling.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wonder if this is, in part, becoming accustomed to what technology can offer you now. In other words, however much nostalgia might paint a pretty picture and however much those machines were capable in the past, they can't possibly match up to what we have now which tarnishes that feeling.

Agreed 100%.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Anyway I'm glad the retro-bug has gone ;)

Building off of what you two guys said. I think that old computers & very old OS versions are a perfect example of how the "Good old Days"…sometimes…weren't all that great. At least when comparing capabilities/abilities of a 2014 computer/OS to a 2001 computer/OS.;)

It's cute & fun for a while…but then you say…"Ok…give me my 'real' computer!";)

- Nick

C

chas_m

My sole exposure to the classic Mac OS was in college back in... oh... 1988? I honestly didn't care for it and thought DOS-based apps were superior for their rapid navigation with keyboard commands (in Lotus, for example). I still miss WordPerfect. *sniffle*

Check MacUpdate, I swear I saw a new WP viewer and converter (unofficial of course) posted there recently.

Ah yes, here we go: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40371/wordperfect-viewer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12

Oh, absolutely! When my phone can do so much more, and a lot faster, clears any nostalgia right up :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Good old Days"…sometimes…weren't all that great.

Well OS 7.0.1 is okay as it is the latest operating system my Apple Camera can use!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
I have a number of G3 and G4 machines lying around. Mostly running OS X in some variant, but I have one G4 with 9.1 which I light up on occasion to play some Starcraft. I also have a number of old PCs wth DOS 6.2/Win3.1 and even OS/2 3 Warp... but they seem to get less use these days. I have a Win98 macine open beside me right now that almost gave me fits the other day... Maybe its time for some of this old stuff to go...

Good read though. Thanks for posting that!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.