Assigning "back" to a mouse button?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" (3GB DDR2)
Is there any way to assign the "back" function of a web brower to a mouse button? I used this funtionality on my old windows pc with a logitech mouse and I greatly miss it. I'm using a mighty mouse. Thanks anyone.

M

MacHeadCase

Did you try your System Preferences? In the Keyboard & Mouse pref pane, under the Mouse tab you can change the functions assigned to the mouse buttons.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You might need to use a 3rd party utility such as USB Overdrive X...

OP
Poob Bubes
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you try your System Preferences? In the Keyboard & Mouse pref pane, under the Mouse tab you can change the functions assigned to the mouse buttons.

There's no option for this.

Reaction score
Good thread, I just bought a mightmouse (and I love it) but the back feature would be nice... downloading usb overdrive... will let you know.

M

MacHeadCase

Doh! Didn't think to look first.... Sorry. :Blushing:

Apart from the venerable USB Overdrive, there is also the newer kid on the block, SteerMouse.

OP
Poob Bubes
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might need to use a 3rd party utility such as USB Overdrive X...

That did it thanks alot! I was able to assign the scroll button to "back" only when using safari or firefox and it still pulls up the dashboard when i'm not using these programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You'll need to deactivate that under the 'Mouse' system preference pane...
The settings there aren't overridden by USBOverdrive, so set the scroll button to '-'.

OP
Poob Bubes
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That did it thanks alot! I was able to assign the scroll button to "back" only when using safari or firefox and it still pulls up the dashboard when i'm not using these programs.

You'll need to deactivate that under the 'Mouse' system preference pane...
The settings there aren't overridden by USBOverdrive, so set the scroll button to '-'.

I meant that in a good way :) That's what I wanted to happen, so I set it up that way... But alas, I think this program might be acting up for me... I've been randomly losing functionality for left clicks since I installed it. Left clicks do nothing until i command click on the desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which one?
This really ticks me off!
The pop-up menus for the scroll and side buttons should have a "keystroke" option.
Both my kensington and logitech mice have this option.
I like the mighty mouse, but this totally blows!
Anyone know what use "button 3" and "button 4" might have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I seem to remember reading USB OVerdrive isn't developed any more? I might be wrong.

Steermouse works perfectly with my Logitech mice (I ditched the inappropriately-named Mighty Mouse ages ago), and also assigns options on a per-application basis.

Reaction score
this should be programmed into os.x, I use steermouse, but i dont feel i should pay 20$ for a functionality that is already built into the mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
this should be programmed into os.x, I use steermouse, but i dont feel i should pay 20$ for a functionality that is already built into the mouse.

Apple don't produce multi-button mice so they don't add support for them. And no-one forced you to pay $20.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.