• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Asian pirates selling Microsoft's Longhorn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

December 2, 2003 - 11:08 EST Malaysia's software pirates are already selling the next version of Microsoft Windows, codenamed Longhorn, years before it is supposed to be on sale. Bootleg CD copies are on sale for six ringgit (US$1.58) in the country. The software is an early version of Longhorn demonstrated and distributed at a Microsoft developers conference in October. Longhorn is not expected to ship until 2006.

My Comments: About what it's worth isnt it? j/k I just couldnt help myself.. I try to not put down windows, but sometimes a story is just begging for some type of comment :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
the people buying it are really getting ripped off at that price :D

R

rcsskier

wow, buying it when you can download it almost anywhere....
btw XP is actually really great, so is OS X 10.3

M

Mr.Guvernment

^^^ not everyone has the sense, or the inet speed to download it, so what is $2US for it, not much.

Also, why do you hate XP ? - i know i hate it for all the bloated crap in it.

A

agallant

tbag said:
hehe.....I wonder how innovative it REALLY is........considering i hate XP!

Yeah, i have a MSDN subscription, i have downloaded it and tried it. it is basicailly XP, nothing special. a few changes such as improved prieviews of folder contence. Longhorn is sopose to be ultra secure but we will see. Also you guys need a Linux discussion fourim on this site.

-AG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
agallant said:
Yeah, i have a MSDN subscription, i have downloaded it and tried it. it is basicailly XP, nothing special. a few changes such as improved prieviews of folder contence. Longhorn is sopose to be ultra secure but we will see. Also you guys need a Linux discussion fourim on this site.

-AG
Yeah, interesting. Considering how xpee still needs to modify to supress regisry access and other worm crap, how good could it be? Linux has its own good forum BTW :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Longhorn has that codename because apparently they didn't want the word "Windows" in the name this time around (Windows 95,98,2000,NT,XP). Same goes for Blackcomb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP
wow bootlegs. amazing. you wonder if microsoft put their little tracking tech in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah, good question, and does such a copy work... :p

T

Toniee

Actually, I bought such a copy from eBay.com, it's only the ALPHA BETA version. Stilll very buggy. Uses alot of RAM and Processing power.

T

The mac 13

Murlyn said:
Source: MacMinute.com

December 2, 2003 - 11:08 EST Malaysia's software pirates are already selling the next version of Microsoft Windows, codenamed Longhorn, years before it is supposed to be on sale. Bootleg CD copies are on sale for six ringgit (US$1.58) in the country. The software is an early version of Longhorn demonstrated and distributed at a Microsoft developers conference in October. Longhorn is not expected to ship until 2006.

My Comments: About what it's worth isnt it? j/k I just couldnt help myself.. I try to not put down windows, but sometimes a story is just begging for some type of comment :)

haha..i gt the cd!haha.. i bought it in malaysia, singapore's neighbour. piracy is a prob in asia esp malaysia, thailand and indonesia. it usually happens in undeveloped countries. in singapore its tough coz the singapore law is CRAZY!!ask micheal fay of america and he will tell u..

oh ya.. don laught. recntly, shelves esp for machintosh programms inc keynote and panther is on the shelves. so u can c that the pirates are not avoiding machintosh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Any version before the completion of development can't be very stable ;)

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Wow this thread is old. Like, before I left this place the first time old. And it refuses to die.

Anyway, Longhorn isn't Windows. It's Longhorn. Like Apple II to the Mac OS. Like Mac OS to Mac OS X. Like DOS to NT.

T

The mac 13

Absolute Zero said:
Wow this thread is old. Like, before I left this place the first time old. And it refuses to die.

Anyway, Longhorn isn't Windows. It's Longhorn. Like Apple II to the Mac OS. Like Mac OS to Mac OS X. Like DOS to NT.

agree

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.