• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

As/400

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Anybody work with AS/400's before?

Is it basically a monster UNIX box?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Yes.

I assume you are talking about the AIX version but you can also run Linux if you prefer.

Power4 machines really rock btw.

Amen-Moses

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, hopefully I will be working with some iSeries machines soon.

And to answer my own questions, AS/400 or OS/400 more specifically isn't a UNIX at all. It is an object oriented OS. Sorta like where MS is going with Active Directory. Except that they have been doing it this way for a couple decades.

Pretty cool stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Emrys said:
Well, hopefully I will be working with some iSeries machines soon.

And to answer my own questions, AS/400 or OS/400 more specifically isn't a UNIX at all. It is an object oriented OS. Sorta like where MS is going with Active Directory. Except that they have been doing it this way for a couple decades.

Pretty cool stuff.

Ahh, but under the hood there is still an AIX or Linux core, a bit like Apple have done with OSX and Darwin.

IBM have really taken the Open Source core thingy to heart and based all core services on a common set of low level code that owes much to Linux (but with an AIX flavour).

What you get to interact with at the higher level will not look much like unix but it is definitely in there somewhere. ;)

AND you can of course throw the whole lot away and just download (from IBM) the Linux OS complete with Gnome or Conqueror, IBM are really being good to their customers these days. (i.e no proprietary you-must-buy-our-services **** unless of course you want it).

Just before I left IBM I took some e-learning packages which were aimed at professionals asked to install Linux on the 400 series machines, it all looked pretty straightforward.

If you want a really powerful server you can do a lot worse than a 400 running Linux & Apache.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just realised that you are talking about the OLD 400 stuff, everything changed around 5 years ago. The legacy OS/400 is OK but nowadays it is more usual to replace it with the Linux core.

Do IBM even support legacy OS/400 now?

Amen-Moses

OP
Emrys
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what I have been reading. It is called OS/400, which runs on an iSeries server. The iSeries are AS/400's with a new name. I guess.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.