Apps autoloading on startup - Mac Air High Sierra

Reaction score
Hiya all. Just registered as a new member. Been trawling the Net for a solution to apps (Chrome in particular) opening on startup on my recently purchased Mac Air. All the online guidance recommends either
1. Unchecking the 'Open on Login' option via the Toolbar or
2. Removing the app via System Preferences - Users and Groups - Login Items.
Seems logical, right? Err...........nope.
In my case (offenders are Chrome and Facetime), neither are enabled to open via the Toolbar and do not appear in the Login Items list.
Any of you seasoned Mac users out there got a fix for this.
TIA
Luc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
On shutdown, the dialog offers the opportunity to reopen apps that were open when you decided to shut down. Make sure that is NOT checked when you shut down. Also, by "Toolbar" I take it you mean the Dock? Finally, look in the preferences for those two apps to see if there is a specific setting for them to launch on boot or login. I don't use either, so I can't say if or where it might be.

OP
L
Reaction score
On shutdown, the dialog offers the opportunity to reopen apps that were open when you decided to shut down. Make sure that is NOT checked when you shut down. Also, by "Toolbar" I take it you mean the Dock? Finally, look in the preferences for those two apps to see if there is a specific setting for them to launch on boot or login. I don't use either, so I can't say if or where it might be.
Hi Jake. Thanks for the reply. Hadn't noticed the reopen apps option on shutdown so will look at that next time. As for the Dock and in Preferences, none of the apps are enabled for startup loading which is what puzzled me.
It's more of an inconvenience that anything else, but hey, no biggy in the current scheme of things :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.