Application Memory

Reaction score
I am getting a message that I have run out of application memory. Please help me understand what this means! Here are my specs:

OSX Yosemite Version 10.10.5
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8 gb 1067 MHz DDR3

However, I also upgraded to a solid state memory and increased my RAM also about a year ago. I may not be using the right terminology, and if not, I apologize. Any help offered would be much appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

Open up Activity Monitor and click on the Memory Tab. At the bottom you should sort the applications by memory usage to see which app is taking up the most memory. I believe Yosemite still broke down the memory usage by Wired, Cached or whatever. Take a screenshot of the window and paste it here.

Basically, you're using applications that are consuming all of your available memory from 8GB. Depending on the the Mac you have, might be able to upgrade it further or you'll have to routinely shutdown memory intensive applications and restart them.

Reaction score
Yup, wrong terminology. "upgraded to a solid state memory" This is your hard drive, where all your files are kept. "increased my RAM also about" This is your memory. Like Ashwin said, if you can up your memory to it's maximum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.