"Application has Moved" after Carbon Copy Cloner backup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2008 2.8ghz-8core 12gb RAM + MacBook Pro 2010 i7 2.66 8gb RAM
Dear Mac Forums

I have started using Carbon Copy Cloner as a secondary backup to Time Machine, as it is bootable.

The Software has been working flawlessly and everything is fine on its end.
The only issue I'm having that I can't seem to fix, other than un-mounting the drive, is that when ever I load up Photoshop, it keeps giving me the message, "application has moved", and it loads the copy on my Backup drive rather than the copy on my Main drive. I have to then unmount the backup drive and then change the "open with" settings to point it back to the original version. And every time It does a back up, this keeps happening.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to fix this?

I'm using Yosemite 10.10.2 on a 2008 Mac Pro.

The "fetching" also takes a long time when right clicking a file and going to "open with", but this is only after a back up, then once its done it once, its back to normal.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone SE 3rd Gen
I must confess that, unless I am carrying out a CCC back up, that external drive is not connected. Only the external drive for my Time Machine remains connected all the time.

In addition, which may not be the approved method, I only carry out 'full' back ups using CCC and rely on Time Machine for everything short of needing a bootable backup. The external drive for CCC holds about ten 'full' back ups which I delete on a rotary basis so I have always got the latest ten back ups. This is probably a hang up from my Windows days!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Chris

I reckon that those who use CCC all the time may come up with a "fix" in the settings or preferences etc. What I would say, echoing pine man, is only connect your cloning software when you want to make a BU. I use SuperDuper! but the principles are the same. I keep TM mounted all the time, but only mount my EHD once a week for my cloning BU.

Hopefully, others with direct experience of CCC can advise how to avoid your problem.

Ian

M

MacInWin

Open System Preferences, Spotliight, and on the privacy tab block it from indexing the CCC backup drive. Now force a reindex by using the process in this article. Finder, when it kicks off an application, uses Spotlight's index to find the app. By blocking the CCC drive, it won't be looking there, will look at your internal drive.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Jake's idea is a good one - shouldn't need Spotlight indexing your backup anyway.

If that doesn't fix it, I'd shoot an email to CCC support. I hear they're pretty good at responding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
One other thing I would add to Jake's excellent suggestion is: do a reset of "Open With" menu after reindexing, to prevent [permanently] confused Adobe from having a fit, when it can't see Photoshop on a backup disc ;)

I use this command string in Terminal:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain user;killall Finder;echo "Open With has been rebuilt, Finder will relaunch"

However, there is a GUI solution too (might be a tad out of date though): Clear Open With Menu

M

MacInWin

You can set the "Open with" for ALL the files of a type by finding any of them, then right click and "Get Info" on it. Now on the resulting window, select the "Open with" window, find the app on th internal drive, select it and then click the "Change All" and all files of that type will now point to the app you chose. You will be asked for an Admin password to finish the action. No need to kill ALL open with associations as in the suggestion from Dvid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Jake, it's not about changing the association through Get Info, it's about rebuilding the list and restarting it (hence the killall command). This removes duplicates and restores correct links to apps. It is also a lot quicker than going through over a dozen file types Photoshop opens ...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If that is actually happening just from creating a backup, I would contact CCC. SD! never did that to my Lightroom/Photoshop nor any other app.

And, I would think we have quite a few other regulars here using both CCC and Photoshop that this should be more common than this single occurence.

M

MacInWin

Bob, as I said, it happens when Spotlight reindexes the backup drive, puts that application above the internal application on the list and then the app opens when you click on the appropriate file type. It's not CCC, SD! will result in the same if you spotlight index the backup drive. (Yes, I did actually see it happen.)

David, I generally avoid "*all" operations. I like to control what is happening on my machine as much as I can. What you said is correct, but I won't use it except in an emergency. It's a preference, not right/wrong. Also, I still have the iWork '09 versions and some of my documents point to those versions instead of the newer ones for the deleted functions, so killall would undo that and force me to reset them one by one. As I said, it's a preference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
David, I generally avoid "*all" operations. I like to control what is happening on my machine as much as I can. What you said is correct, but I won't use it except in an emergency. It's a preference, not right/wrong.

Actually I agree entirely - I don't use it that often myself, and I suspect now, that I've utilised your tip on Spotlight indexing (or rather not indexing) of backup drives, I probably won't have to at all ;D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob, as I said, it happens when Spotlight reindexes the backup drive, puts that application above the internal application on the list and then the app opens when you click on the appropriate file type. It's not CCC, SD! will result in the same if you spotlight index the backup drive. (Yes, I did actually see it happen.)

Thanks Jake - getting to where I have to be told at least twice nowadays :Angry-Tongue: before my brain starts to grab hold of something new to me.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you for all the replies, I set the thread to notify me of any reply's, which it did not, so apologies for not getting back sooner.

My CCC drive is an internal partition, so its not something I can only mount when needed.

I don't have access to my desktop, as I am away from home, but I will try the spotlight fix and reply with my findings.

Thank you all for your contributions.

Chris

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone SE 3rd Gen
My CCC drive is an internal partition

If you mean it is a partition of your hard drive that is not a good idea. If it fails you have lost not only your complete system but your back up as well.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since you have a Mac Pro, I would hope you meant internal drive vs a partition on your system drive.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Got to agree with pine man (and bobtomay)—never put any form of Backup on the system HD; things like CCC, SuperDuper!, Time Machine should always be on separate HDs. For the reason mentioned: lose one disc, lost everything.

Ian

M

MacInWin

My CCC drive is an internal partition, so its not something I can only mount when needed.
Except for the boot partition, any partition can be mounted only when you want. And even if the partition is mounted, you can still tell Spotlight to ignore it and it will.

Also, as pine man said, if the purpose of the CCC is to back up the drive, it is of no value to back up to the same physical drive, even in a separate partition. When the mechanical drive fails, you'll most likely lose all partitions.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I should have said, I have 6 internal Hard Drives in my Mac Pro, Time Machine is on a single 500gb Hard drive, and the CCC back up is on a 256GB partition of a 2TB drive that I have in there. My main boot drive is a 256GB SSD drive.

That would be a pretty pointless thing putting a backup on a partition of the same drive as the system :p!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thought I would update this thread. The only way I have found to get around the problem is to add in a command into CCC to unmount the backup drive after backup, and to only mount it when doing scheduled backups. So far that has solved the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.