Apple’s Touch ID-enabled keyboard is finally available on its own

Reaction score
Three-and-half months after launching the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID, Apple is finally breaking it out from its iMac bundle. The accessory is now available as a standalone, through Apple Stores and the company’s site.

There are two versions: the standard and a longer model with a numeric keypad (pretty much what the company offers with all of its Magic Keyboards), running $149 and $179, respectively. There’s also a $99 version that keeps the new rounded, compact design, but drops the Touch ID in favor of a key that locks the system. But where’s the fun in that?

MagicKeyboard_TouchID1.png

Image Credits: Apple

All of the models have keys devoted to Spotlight, Dictation, Do Not Disturb and Emoji (I ended up disabling the latter on mine, because I couldn’t avoid accidental presses
🙁
🙁
).

An important caveat in all of this: Touch ID only works on Macs running the M1 chip, which disqualifies a pretty massive chunk of the Macs currently on the market. If you do own one of those fancy new systems, the feature can be used for secure logins, purchases and the like. The limitation appears to be a result of Touch ID’s use of the Secure Enclave found on Apple’s new chip.

MagicMouse2.png

Image Credits: Apple

The keyboard includes a woven USB-C to Lightning cable, though Touch ID also works when the keyboard is connected wirelessly via Bluetooth. Also new are redesigned versions of the Magic Mouse and Trackpad, running $79 and $129 each.

LaCg7zElK9A

Click here to view the article...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm in the process of replacing my Apple keyboard because of a few keys that were sticking. It was time, after several years of hard use.

When I first started experiencing keyboard issues, Apple hadn't announced a timetable for selling this keyboard as a separate unit. The final dealbreaker for me is that it isn't backlit and can't pair with multiple devices. Your needs may vary.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I first started experiencing keyboard issues, Apple hadn't announced a timetable for selling this keyboard as a separate unit. The final dealbreaker for me is that it isn't backlit and can't pair with multiple devices. Your needs may vary

And, unless you have a M1 machine, that keyboard is not going to work anyway.

Too bad you don't live close by, I would gladly donate a keyboard to you in exchange for one of your Longhorn hats. :p

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And, unless you have a M1 machine, that keyboard is not going to work anyway.

Too bad you don't live close by, I would gladly donate a keyboard to you in exchange for one of your Longhorn hats. :p
:rofl

I've got a few Windows Keyboards around but can't stand any of them. I liked the Matias keyboard but the charging port gave out. My Apple keyboard is finally giving up the ghost after skidding off of the desk more times than I care to remember.

My impression is that most of the functions of the new keyboard will work on an Intel Mac but the touch ID feature requires an M1 Mac. Am I wrong about that? I don't have an M1 Mac so that's not helpful. I do wish Apple would make a backlit, multi-device keyboard. That would be worth buying.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My impression is that most of the functions of the new keyboard will work on an Intel Mac but the touch ID feature requires an M1 Mac.

Yep, that's correct. The touch ID requires an M1. And why Apple does not sell a backlighted keyboard is beyond me. I realize Apple demands a premium price for their keyboards and it's likely that a backlighted version would probably be $200+.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I realize Apple demands a premium price for their keyboards and it's likely that a backlighted version would probably be $200+.
[/QUOTE
Apple keyboards are a bit pricey but tend to hold up well. Every Apple keyboard has lasted for years and survived several drops onto tile/concrete before needing to be replaced. I have one of the old, small, USB ones from years ago that's still useful. It's been years since one of my buddies used it as a daily keyboard, but it refuses to die.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.