apple wireless keyboard – "pairing failed"

T

thedose

I can't seem to pair the keyboard at all. I'm using the bluetooth setup assistant and it finds the keyboard, issues me a passkey to use, but fails to communicate:

"The pairing attempt was unsuccessful. Make sure your keyboard is in range of the computer, turned on and "discoverable." When ready, click Continue to try again."

After a few attempts, after I see that screen another screen comes up behind this one that asks for the passkey, i enter the one given but nothing happens

I've also tried going thru preferences "Pair New Device" but I have no passkey given to me to enter that way, and if i use the passkey from the previous method, it fails as well.

i've updated to 10.3.3, and installed the firmware updated prior to updating the OS. i've was successful in pairing my MX900 and my phones...

OP
D

DigitalN.

my keyboard hates me as well. yes I am raising this from the deeps, but I need some help, it takes like 80 million tries to get this to work!

Reaction score
DigitalN. said:
my keyboard hates me as well. yes I am raising this from the deeps, but I need some help, it takes like 80 million tries to get this to work!

I assume your using internal bluetooth. Have you updated system software and the bluetooth software? I did all this and went through the suggested steps and my keyboard works perfectly. I'm using a d-link adapter and there's been no problems.

Reaction score
Well now I'm eating my words.

Just changed the batteries on my keyboard and broke the cardinal rule. I didn't turn my mac off first. Now I get to the pairing stage but that's it. It doesn't pair and I don't think it's even reading the passkey I'm inputting. I've upgraded everything to do with Bluetooth on my mac but still not working.

I remember this being an issue with my original BT mouse. If I took the batteries out while my mac was still on I was in deep doodoo. It's one of the reasons I sold it and haven't bought the BT MM.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get this working before I turf it out the window?

Reaction score
Fixed This Problem

I figured out how to fix this problem and figured I'd post to give this thread a conclusion.

1. Step one is to plug in another USB keyboard. (you may have to go through the process of setting this one up, but Apple makes that pretty easy)
2. Then turn on your bluetooth keyboard.
3. Type an easy to remember passkey into your bluetooth keyboard and press enter.
4. Wait a couple seconds for the information to float magically between your devices.
5. A box should pop up prompting you to enter a passkey.
6. Type the same passkey from step 3 into the field using your hardwired USB keyboard.
7. The device should pair.
8. Now go to your Bluetooth Setup Assistant (either in System Preferences or if you have it turned on, in your menu bar) and choose Setup a New Device ...
9. Proceed to setup your keyboard using the wizard.

Viola! Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yep use the wired keyboard for setting up wireless keyboard (and mouse). Invaluable those wired keyboard.

Reaction score
ok i'm having the same problem but i'm also having the problem that i can't actually type a passkey because i can't use the keyboard as it isn't paired. at the moment i'm using a usb keyboard.

Reaction score
if you have Leopard 10.5.8, just hit the "Enter" button while pairing ;)

I have a MacBook Pro 15" running Leopard 10.5.8, and I was getting to the point where I could enter the passkey but then it would fail to connect with the wireless keyboard, and I was stuck...so I called Apple :)

During the 'pairing' process, simply hit your "enter/return" button a few times while the pinwheel is spinning...this connected it the first time I tried using this method!

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
When i comes to wireless keyboards and Powerbooks - been down that path - there is an issue with obstructions between laptop and keyboard. i had my PB on compressed particle board with keyboard lower than laptop and once i removed the horizontal piece it was on it worked much better. Pic here of how it ended up;

Click for full size

This is a MBP but used the stand with the PB

Reaction score
Thank you ddcgreg

I have a MacBook Pro 15" running Leopard 10.5.8, and I was getting to the point where I could enter the passkey but then it would fail to connect with the wireless keyboard, and I was stuck...so I called Apple :)

During the 'pairing' process, simply hit your "enter/return" button a few times while the pinwheel is spinning...this connected it the first time I tried using this method!

Good luck!

It worked - Apple didn't pass on this knowledge so I'm on my second keyboard with one to send back - if only they had told me this... Just joined Mac Forum because user knowledge is the best - thanks xrx

Reaction score
i tried to hitting the enter/return key prior to the code coming up whilst it was up but i still cant seem to get past that stage any ideas?:'(

Reaction score
thanks

thanks ddcgreg,

I have a 17" macbook pro running leopard 10.5.8 and hitting the enter key trick while "pairing" worked beautifully.

Previously I was getting to all stages of the set up bluetooth assistant, sometimes found, sometimes not, - even to the point where it seemed the assistant timed out but the bluetooth menu recognised the wireless keyboard as paired - but only for 5 seconds!

thank you!

Reaction score
Pairing Failed

I have a MacBook Pro running Mac OSX version 10.6.8, I have this same problem but the enter/return solution does not work for me. Does this still work in the version? Will updating to Lion fix?

Reaction score
:::: This worked for me ::::

::: Hi :::: When I got this keyboard I set it up with another mac !! I turned on that mac and REMOVED the keyboard from Bluetooth preferences !!! now my NEW mac sees the keyboard easily. I do not know WHY the other mac did not let my new mac detect the wireless keyboard ! So this is just a hint for those who SET UP this keyboard with another mac and now trying to use it on NEW mac with no success ! By the way, EVEN when my old mac WAS turned off still my new mac COULD not detect the keyboard ! strange . Bye for now .

Reaction score
You may be on to something

You may be on to something. I´m not sure what I finally did, but it wasn´t until I disconnected my iPad. Sometime after that, the bluetooth on my MacPro decides to coorperate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lion OS 10.7.1
cannot get Macally BT wireless laser mouse to pair

I am running Lion on a new Macbook pro and I use it as a desk top when I arrive home. I tried connecting a Macally BT wireless laser mouse to it just as I did with my Macbook running Snow Leopord. It worked great with snow leopord. It will not pair on my macbook pro running lion. I don't know if I need a password. It give me the option to generate one or use one provided by the manufacture. Macally's help site is horrible at best. They don't go much further than OS 10.5!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.