• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Watch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 13 MacBook Pro, 11" MacBook Air, 64G iPad, iPhone 4
Am I wrong in thinking this thread is titled Apple Watch. It seems to have become a 5 and 6 comparison.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Ha, yes we seem to have wandered off the topic a little but sometimes it's the only time to mention something new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I use dictation all the time on my watch. I never think of it when I have my phone. But when a text comes in, I just hit the microphone icon and talk away. I have had dictation fail if I am in a low service area but, for the most part it is very reliable and accurate.

I am going to have to rely on it a lot after Sept. 30th. I will be having hand surgery - arthritic joint repair and carpal tunnel repair. So I will see how well I can get along with using dictation. One handed typing is not that easy.

Lisa

Good luck Lisa :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Sorry to hear about the surgery, hope it goes well and you're on the mend soon! Yes, I use dictation on my Apple Watch now too, and am generally pleased with how good/useful it is.

Thanks Chas_m!

Lisa

C

chas_m

Today's tales of the Apple Watch: I was taking a break and laying down on the couch when I remembered I should call my doctor and make an appointment. My phone was on the charging stand in the bedroom, and I didn't want to go get it. Aha! "Hey Siri, call [doctor name]." A moment later "[Doctor Name]'s office, how can I help you?"

Made an appointment for October 20th at noon. Ended the call (this is all speaker and mic, no headset). "Hey Siri, make an appointment to see [doctor name] on October 20th at 12pm." "Okay," then a moment later the appointment comes up for me to confirm by tapping "OK."

Now that is better living through Apple! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow chas_m, that gives a whole new definition to "couch potato" !!! ;)

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Next will be "Hey Siri, get me a beer and some chips." ;) Or is there already an app for that??? :eek:

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
Girlfriend 1.0. Just be careful, upgrading to a Wife 1.0 reduces functionality, and it's difficult to switch to Girlfriend 1.1 after upgrading...

(I know, it's an old joke..)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Girlfriend 1.0. Just be careful, upgrading to a Wife 1.0 reduces functionality, and it's difficult to switch to Girlfriend 1.1 after upgrading...

(I know, it's an old joke..)

YEs, that is sad..... I have seen the same joke with Boyfriend 1.0 and upgrading to husband 1.0.... :*

On another note - Apple has delayed the release of WatchOS 2 due to some bug that has cropped up.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Is there any news on what the bug is or when the OS is due please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there any news on what the bug is or when the OS is due please?

The only thing I am seeing is that it will be released "shortly." What ever that means in reference to time. I admit I am a tad disappointed. I rushed to get iOS 9 on my iPhone so I could upgrade to Watch OS2. However, I would rather is worked correctly and bug less than drive me crazy because it has bugs and fails to work correctly. :) I have become very dependent on the watch features - especially messages and calendar.

Lisa

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree on the upgrade nerves. I've always been cavalier about upgrading in the past but the thought of losing watch functionality is making me cautious.

I have a 6S on order. I may wait for that to arrive before upgrading.

C

chas_m

I'm getting a surprising amount of use out of my Apple Watch in its present state, so I am perfectly content to wait for a version of watchOS 2 that doesn't have any showstopping bugs. I do look forward to the development of more advanced apps for the watch, however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree. Not risked iOS9 on my iPad Air2 or iPhone yet. I tried it on the older iPad Mini2 but no significant differences found yet, apart from the very small writing on the keyboard. It does not seem possible to increase the size of that, even with the Accessibility settings :(

Better to wait until the WatchOS works correctly.

Incidentally, I saw a report of a Security Update for iOS9 already, although not showing up yet on the iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So OS2 for the Watch has been released. For now I plan to let some others try it and I will see how they are doing. I probably won't wait long - like maybe until tonight? Deferred gratification has never been my strong suit....sigh. Anyway if any one else wants to play guinea pig and try it then post their results - please! I would love to know - and when I inevitable take the plunge I will post my findings too. ;)

Lisa

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Updating to watchOS2 as I type...

C

chas_m

Most of what's "new" in watchOS 2 will depend on developers writing or rewriting apps to take advantage of it. You can, however, from the first minute, spot two notable changes:

1. New watch faces to play with, including custom photo faces.
2. You can reply to Mail messages on the Watch directly.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nightstand mode and Activation Lock are two important features core to the OS for me.

Upgrade finished with no issues seen so far!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.