Apple Watch - Tracking Training Intervals

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
SWMBO is considering moving from a FitBit to the Apple Watch. Before she does that she'd like to know exactly how to accomplish the following using software that is already on the watch.
Here's what she wants to do as part of a running workout:
1. One interval where the workout is at a certain intensity level.
2. After a period of time the watch would warn you to change to a second intensity level.

The watch would keep cycling through two or more intensity levels until a total specified time of say 30 minutes has elapsed. Each time there is a change in intensity level the watch should cue you (verbal/haptic) to switchintensity levels.

I'm pretty sure this can be done with the workout app on WatchOS 9 but the directions I've found so far are a little confusing.

Comments:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Well, there is a FitBit app for iOS,

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, and she is using that with her current FitBit device IIRC. I suspect that gizmo will be dead soon and we are starting to look at alternatives.

There are also several other third-party apps that track this info. I think the ability to track things using the built in app would go a long way toward ditching the FitBit in favor of the Apple Watch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Sly, here is the user guide at Apple:

and this is the first page of that manual with details on the Workout app (not Workout+, the service, just Workout, the app).

I think what she is looking for might be covered under the part about "segments" of workouts. I don't use the Watch that way, I just use it to track my workout and do the timings myself as I go.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you're right but I need to look at that guide again. I tend to use my watch the way you do so I haven't wrapped my brain around that method yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Yeah, from the reading "segments" is one way for a multi-event workout, kind of like tracking a triathlon through all three phases. But I don't see anything that says the "segments" need to be different, so you could have a "run" for 30 minutes, then "walk" for 30, and then back to "run" again. I don't know about the notification to change, but maybe the timer on the watch can be set to handle that. So, she would start a timer for, say, 31 minutes, then spend a minute getting the workout app going on the first segment, then when the timer goes off, she should have done about 30 minutes on that and can move to the next segment. I think it's worth testing, anyway.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After I read your post last night I actually took time to seriously look at how to set up segments. I had read some directions based on a Google search but they were somewhat confusing and much of it was for older versions of WatchOS. Based on your comments I decided to apply my tried and true troubleshooting method a.k.a poke at it till you either solve the problem or something fails completely.

Here's what I discovered:

1. I tapped the running workout because that is what she was interested in doing. Tap the three dots to create a custom workout. This process should work with other workouts.

2. Create a custom variation of the workout and follow the directions to create the first interval.

3. The method for adding a second interval is ptryyt straightforward if you follow the directions.

4. If you want to create additional intervals with different timings/intensities repeat the process to create those intervals.

5. Once you have gotten the basic intervals created you can tell the watch which intervals to repeat by selecting the intervals to repeat and telling the watch how many times to repeat those intervals.

The watch gave me an audible alert when it was time to change to the next interval of the workout.

When I have time I may post a more detailed description.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.