Apple Watch keeps "waking up" every 2 minutes on charger

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Well, I've now tried the following:

(1) unplugged the iPhone wireless charger from the Anker 5-port charger and plugged the Apple Watch charger in its place - the issue persisted
(2) plugged the Apple Watch into Apple's 1-port USB power adapter and then directly into the wall socket - the issue resolved
(3) plugged the Apple Watch into Apple's 1-port USB power adapter and then into the surge protector - the issue resolved
(4) plugged the Apple Watch into an Anker 2-port USB power adapter - the issue resolved

All the adapters are 5V per port. The Apple adapter is 1A max current and the Anker adapters are both 2.4A max per port. So I see no logical reason why the 5-port Anker charger would be the only one causing this issue. So strange, especially since it works with my iPhone. Oh well, I guess I'll just use the Apple USB adapter plugged into the surge protector to avoid having to keep removing the watch from the charger.

Oh, and when I first charged again using the 5-port Anker when I got home, the pings varied between 1 min. 15 sec. intervals all the way up to almost 5 min. - not consistent like last night.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thanks for that thoughtful and comprehensive feedback, Jonathan.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Sounds like the Anker has a fault that drops power for some reason. Maybe overheating? I'd contact Anker about getting a replacement if it's still under warranty. (I have two of the Ankers, and they work perfectly for me, so far.)

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Sounds like the Anker has a fault that drops power for some reason. Maybe overheating? I'd contact Anker about getting a replacement if it's still under warranty. (I have two of the Ankers, and they work perfectly for me, so far.)

That's what you would think except that doesn't explain why it only happens after the watch has reached 100% charge nor why the iPhone doesn't have the issue plugged into the very same port. Must be something inherent in how the the Apple Watch charges that doesn't play well with this particular Anker charger. I bought the charger a few years ago, so it's probably out of warranty, and it seems to work with everything else, so I'm not worried about it. I just have the watch charger plugged into the surge protector now instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
And thanks for the clarification on "zap strip" - never heard that one before and Google wasn't my friend in this instance - just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something

+1!!! That makes two of us. :D

It must be an expression or description just used in Winchester, VA.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Is the cable plugged directly in to a wall socket, or a power strip?

An interesting thread, but is there really a difference between the electricity coming from a wall socket and that of an otdinary power strip???I

If so, I sure as heck don't know how they accomplish that. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

OP
usagora
Reaction score
An interesting thread, but is there really a difference between the electricity coming from a wall socket and that of an otdinary power strip???I

- Patrick
======

There shouldn't be, but I think Bob was just trying to see how many variables were present between the outlet and the watch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

- Patrick
======
Smart "Green" power strips do have power saving technologies built in, so sometimes it could cause an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

There shouldn't be, but I think Bob was just trying to see how many variables were present between the outlet and the watch.
Yes, that is what I was thinking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are a lot of components in a surge suppressor strip, and if one becomes intermittent, could lead to the symptoms he saw. Going direct eliminates all those components.

As for the Anker, if it has a weak component, or a hairline crack in a solder joint or a trace on a circuit board, the power could be briefly interrupted, then restored. The iPhone may be able to "float" through that brief interruption, but the  Watch may not be able to do that. There is not as much room for things in the Watch, so something had to be left out. So maybe the watch is impacted by a very small interruption or sag in voltage, but the iPhone is not. In any event, from the symptoms, the issue is in the Anker. Does it happen on ALL of the ports on the Anker? If not, maybe just avoid the weak ports?

OP
usagora
Reaction score
Does it happen on ALL of the ports on the Anker? If not, maybe just avoid the weak ports?

I've only tried 2 ports, but, again, I'm just plugging it in to the surge protector now with the Apple USB power adapter and I'm fine with that. Just glad it's not an issue with the watch itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use my 5-port Anker when I travel. I can charge my iPhone and  Watch, along with my iPad, all at the same time overnight with just one charger. I actually have two Ankers; one for me and one for my wife (she also has iPhone and iPad).

OP
usagora
Reaction score
I use my 5-port Anker when I travel. I can charge my iPhone and  Watch, along with my iPad, all at the same time overnight with just one charger. I actually have two Ankers; one for me and one for my wife (she also has iPhone and iPad).

Yeah, I have really enjoyed their products. Btw, my Apple Watch did the "ding" thing again this evening even using the Apple USB power adapter, but it was only once and hasn't happened again (it's been over an hour now).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's worrisome. I only charge my Watch overnight, on my nightstand. The only daytime charging it gets is when I have to put it on the charger for system updates.

If it starts dinging again, I'd call Apple and be prepared to send it in for repair again.

Reaction score
We have two watchs that display this problem. It seems isolated to third party charging pucks. The one that comes with the watch works ok. However, we get around the issue by putting the watch on Do Not Disturb. The iPhone is nearby so we don't miss anything.

OP
usagora
Reaction score
We have two watchs that display this problem. It seems isolated to third party charging pucks. The one that comes with the watch works ok. However, we get around the issue by putting the watch on Do Not Disturb. The iPhone is nearby so we don't miss anything.

This is the charger that came with the watch from Apple. Also, I have my watch set to mirror the iPhone Do Not Disturb setting, so if I activate it on the watch, it will activate it on my phone. So in my case that workaround would be too cumbersome. But as stated, the issue went away (except for one incident) by plugging the watch charger into the Apple USB power adapter and into the surge protector, vs plugging the USB into the Anker 5-port USB power adapter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13” MacBook Pro - late 2013, iPhone 11 iPad Pro Mac Mini
This off topic but I'll proceed anyway

Hey Lisa,

I sleep with my Apple Watch 3 and I've contemplated gettin a 5 but the always on feature concerns me. Will it keep me awake at night?

Thanks

Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
You can put the series 5 in theatre mode and the screen will completely go dark. You have to tap it to get it to light up the screen otherwise it stays off in theatre mode.

Also it is possible to turn off the always on feature in the Watch app on your iPhone. In Display & Brightness you can turn off always on. The only difference is when raise your wrist the watch lights up - unless you turn that off too!

Theatre mode is the way to go. Wrist raise does not cause it to light up.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13” MacBook Pro - late 2013, iPhone 11 iPad Pro Mac Mini
Lisa
Thank you
Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So my  Watch started dinging last night until I pulled it off the charger. In the morning it was at 96% charge. I put it back on the charger to get back to 100% and it did NOT ding. I have it set for Do Not Disturb to match my iPhone, which was definitely on DND, but it dinged anyway. Was out all day, so I couldn't call Apple support, but may give that a go tomorrow or next week. What I think may be happening is that Apple's new battery management scheme that they put an update recently has some code in the watchOS that is not yet activated, but sensing that it has reached the "overnight" level charge and disconnects, but then the  Watch continues to charge, causing the ding. Pure speculation on my part, no science or knowledge. I looked at release notes and Apple has not mentioned it for the Watch, but it sort-of makes sense. Frankly, I hope they let the user disable the process, as I want to manage my battery life myself.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Frankly, I hope they let the user disable the process, as I want to manage my battery life myself.

Hear, Hear!

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.