Apple TV Remote not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 MBP 16 (64GB, 1T HD) OS Big Sur, iPhone 11Pro, Watch 6, Apple TV
Starting to get really frustrated here . . .

I turned on Apple TV to watch some Netflix last night and nothing on the remote was working. Screen just stayed frozen. It wasn't a blank screen, it was still on the 'play' screen for the show I had been watching earlier in the day.

First thing I did was change out the battery in the remote, but that did nothing. The light on the Apple TV box didn't change, or blink, no matter what button I hit. Nothing.

I went to Apple's site and did the troubleshooting. Tried pulling the power cord and waiting, plugging it back in. It came back up to the menu screen, but the remote wouldn't do anything. Tried the pairing and unpairing the remote thing, but it was almost like the Apple TV box didn't react to anything I did - the screen was still frozen and nothing happened. I never saw the 'chain' the instructions said I would see. No change in the screen, nothing.

So this morning I followed the last resort instructions and did a total restore via iTunes with a micro USB cable. Everything went as directed. But when I reconnected the Apple TV box to the TV, it rebooted and I arrived at the "Select a Language screen". But, again, the remote did not work. The light was lit on the Apple TV box, but it was static.

So,here I am. Any suggestions? Should I just use it as a drink coaster now? ;P

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you near an Apple store? They can check the remote for you and if necessary, replace it with a new one. The remote that ships with the Apple TV is different than the ordinary remote that Apple sells for $19.00. Is your Apple TV still under warranty?

OP
neesywah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for replying chscag

No, I am about an hour away from an Apple store (and I'm not missing the football game today to take a trip) :Cool:

So you are saying, if I order a new remote from the Apple store it will be different from the one I have currently, that came with the Apple TV? Different in what way?

And no, I don't think I am still under warranty . . . I've had this for a few years now. This is the first and only issue I've had since I bought it. What's really even odder is, when I open the back of the remote to change the battery, as the battery slides around in the pocket, the screen makes noise and the light blinks on the Apple TV. It is still frozen, but as soon as I screw the battery cap on, it's totally unresponsive again. Can't figure it out!

So you suggest a trip to the Apple store for troubleshooting rather than ordering a new remote online?

Dee

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, unless your remote is still under warranty there's no sense driving an hour just to have Apple sell you a new one. Just go ahead and order one from on line. Take a look at this on line article from the Apple KB about the remote for the Apple TV. I'm not sure I understand why they say the remote can only be paired for the Apple TV. It looks to me like the same remote I use for iTunes and Powerpoint - Keynote presentations.

Here's the LINK.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Worst case scenario (if your Apple TV is a goner). A refurbished Apple TV goes for $75.:)

Refurbished Apple TV - Apple Store (U.S.)

Also…is the Apple remote the only way to control your Apple TV? I know that my wife & I have reprogrammed many of our universal remotes to work with many different devices.

- Nick

OP
neesywah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the link chscag, and I've been all over that Apple KB and tried everything. I hate the thought of dishing out money for a new remote and then that not being the fix. I guess I could return it if that's the case.

Frustrating, I just wish I knew for certain what the issue was. The thing that ticks me off the most is the fact that you can't get to any of the settings on the Apple TV EXCEPT through remote! So even setting up the Remote application for your phone takes being able to get to the settings within Apple TV! Well duh, if I could do that I wouldn't need a remote application.

Okay, enough ranting. I appreciate your help! :) Thank you!

OP
neesywah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Worst case scenario (if your Apple TV is a goner). A refurbished Apple TV goes for $75.:)

Refurbished Apple TV - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

True Nick! Thanks for that suggestion ;D I will first try the cheaper route of a new remote and if that doesn't do it, refurbished it is!

As for a different remote, it won't even respond to the pairing/unpairing process so I don't know if I could even get it to pair to another remote.

I will try that after the football game :)

Dee

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just asked my wife. She says that she programed her iPhone (via an app) to operate our Roku device.

So if you have a smartphone…you may be able to find an app. to control your Apple TV via your smartphone.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As for a different remote, it won't even respond to the pairing/unpairing process so I don't know if I could even get it to pair to another remote.

If your current Apple remote is dead…then that would explain things not pairing. So a known good remote may work.

But try the smartphone idea I mentioned as well. If that works for you. Who knows.

- Nick

OP
neesywah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick!

I tried an app called 'Remote', but in order to add the Apple TV as a device, you have to go in to the Apple TV settings to set it up LOL - so that didn't work. After the game I will do some searches and see what I can find, app-wise.

Thanks again!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... so that didn't work. After the game I will do some searches and see what I can find, app-wise.

Did it not work…because you were not able to try (during the game);)…or it flat out didn't work?

Maybe a different app works differently. If these apps all require you to navigate with the original Apple remote initially to do the app setup (and if your Apple remote is not working)…kind of a "Catch-22".

-Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you can borrow a remote long enough to trigger the setup / pairing process many universal remotes work with the Apple TV. I paired one of the RCA universal remotes successfully and it works fine.

There is one trick to setting up a universal remote though. Normally you "teach" the new remote the commands from a working remote. Wit the Apple TV you do the opposite. It shows you a function on the screen and you push the button on the remote that you want to perform that function.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3296?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Last edited:

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
On a side note, I don't think it's necessary to pair the remotes, unless you have potential for confusion. I have an ATV 2 and an ATV 3 and a Mac Mini, all of which will respond to any of my 3 Apple remotes. I would only pair if I had two devices in the same room and so needed to differentiate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.