• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Sued Over Not Letting Customers Disable Two-Factor Authentication After 2 Weeks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
I now think that is why people are complaining about it so much, is regard to Apple doing it to all the individual devices. Because they are so tied into all the information connected to their Apple/iCloud ID. If they made their iPhone their only trusted device, then the issue would be connecting your other devices to your Apple/iCloud ID, and still being able to access your account info.

For me, I have my mini, iPhone and iPad. The iPhone has my iCloud account and my iPad has my Hotmail Apple/iCloud ID. I use both accounts separately on my mini as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Bob, that may be part of the problem. To use iCloud, or syncing photos, or iCloud Drive you have to have an Apple ID and it has to be tied to a telephone. But as you add devices to sync, they, too, are added to the distribution list for the 2FA codes. So, for example, if a family has one AppleID to share, then when someone is out on the road with an iPhone and wants to access the account, then everybody else at home who has a trusted device on that AppleID sees the code come in, which might be confusing/annoying.

Frankly, I think everyone should have their own AppleID and then use Family Sharing to share what the family needs to share. That way if Dad needs the 2FA code, nobody else sees the code arriving because it only goes to HIS AppleID trusted devices.

Apple doesn't make it easy to ferret it out (Their legendary avoidance of documentation is way over done, IMHO) but with some digging at Apple.com for support documentation you can dig up the stuff you might need. Or you can get one of the "Missing Manual" type books where it's put in one place for you.

For example, here is Apple's documentation on 2FA: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

In the middle of the article is a great recommendation:
You should also consider verifying an additional phone number you can access, such as a home phone, or a number used by a family member or close friend. You can use this number if you temporarily can't access your primary number or your own devices.
Basically, they are trying to say that in addition to your one and only iPhone, you should consider a second device that could be used just in case the iPhone is dead, broken, stolen, lost, generally not available and you need to get to the AppleID. Now consider what that would mean: The 2FA codes would go to YOUR phone and also to that OTHER phone every time it was needed. That might be annoying to the owner of that other device. It is good advice to have a backup, but a better way might be to have a different device, such as your Mac, with Messages running and logged into the same iCloud account. That way the owner of the other phone doesn't get nagged with 2FA codes that don't apply. But one other factor is that if you now travel, but leave the Mac at home, then if you lose/break/get stolen your iPhone then the 2FA will go to your Mac at home, which is kind of useless at that point.

Bottom line, each person should consider HOW to implement 2FA for them and to pick options that make sense for them. Apple gives you options, albeit they are well hidden.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Apple gives you options, albeit they are well hidden.

Yup, just as I mentioned in my #10 post the other day!!! Not impressed!!!

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, I think what happens is that people buy an Apple product, see no setup documents, no manual and think that it must just all work like magic. And for the most part, it does. But when Apple has something a bit more complex like AppleID, 2FA, iCloud, etc, they should produce some documentation for the user and include it in the box with the product, or send to the user by mail if they activate some service like 2FA for example or at the very minimum send an email/message with a link to the documentation. What is a bit annoying is that they HAVE the documentation, you can get it all at support.apple.com, but you have to go there and do a search for it. That document I posted the link for I found there by searching for AppleID and it was right there as the second item in the search results. So they HAVE documentation, you just have to go find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, and for your question in post #10, the answer is NO. Once implemented and past the 14 day limit, 2FA stays. That article I linked says:
If you already use two-factor authentication, you can no longer turn it off. Certain features in the latest versions of iOS and macOS require this extra level of security, which is designed to protect your information. If you recently updated your account, you can unenroll for two weeks. Just open your enrollment confirmation email and click the link to return to your previous security settings. Keep in mind, this makes your account less secure and means that you can't use features that require higher security.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is a bit annoying is that they HAVE the documentation, you can get it all at support.apple.com, but you have to go there and do a search for it. That document I posted the link for I found there by searching for AppleID and it was right there as the second item in the search results. So they HAVE documentation, you just have to go find it.[/QUOTE]

Yup. They probably do, somewhere, and if one can actually find it.

Using a google search on Apple's site usually produces better results.

I think Apple is stll pounding its chest on the Guiness Book of Records award for the smallest manual ever produced that they earned some years ago. But Minimalist does not really help most users these days even if they don't bother reading what they might get with a new purchase.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple's own search function works pretty well, too. As for the smallest manual, I think we need a compromise between smallest in history and the 10 pounds of books I used to get with my PCs, back in the day. Maybe at least a list of the documents at Apple.com for that product?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Apple's own search function works pretty well, too. As for the smallest manual, I think we need a compromise between smallest in history and the 10 pounds of books I used to get with my PCs, back in the day. Maybe at least a list of the documents at Apple.com for that product?

I have always loved this video. My first PC came with that many books. Notice the PC jumps when the manuals are dropped by it! :D Grin

Mac Vs PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have always loved this video. My first PC came with that many books. Notice the PC jumps when the manuals are dropped by it! :D Grin

Lovely.

Anyone recall the early System 7 animated tutorials that came with every Mac???:
Macintosh Guided Tour (Part 1/7): Intro & "Mousing Around"
YouTube

YouTube

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
For those who think they don't need 2FA, consider this article that came out last Friday: Georgia Man Pleads Guilty to Hacking Apple IDs of Professional Musicians and Athletes - MacRumors

This phishing scheme would have failed with 2FA in place.

And I do agree very much with the comments section where folks are shouting "this is not hacking, it's phishing". The article constantly refers to Hacking which is a dangerous term to use.

Phishing is basically tricking people into disclosing there Username, Password and Security Questions/Answers. None of us is perfect, but some of these "top" professionals were a bit fallible.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And I do agree very much with the comments section where folks are shouting "this is not hacking, it's phishing". The article constantly refers to Hacking which is a dangerous term to use.

Phishing is basically tricking people into disclosing there Username, Password and Security Questions/Answers. None of us is perfect, but some of these "top" professionals were a bit fallible.

Ian

+1!!!! 100%.

but some of these "top" professionals were a bit fallible.
You are much too gentle and polite in your description Ian!!! :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No personal attacks please. We are watching this thread closely. Any more and it will be closed which would be sad as there is a lot of helpful info here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ian

I guess not all Top IT Pros are created equal! :D Grin

On a more serious note, in the last few years the only time I have been hacked was on Facebook when I shut off the cell phone from AT&T due to lack of $$$ at the time to pay the bill. The number was in my FB profile and assigned to someone with a new iphone XSMax. They somehow (no one knows how exactly) got into my FB account and changed the Password so I could not log in. Funny as the phone never left my house. Just the plan was discontinued and FB sent me a warning that the Password was changed by a device using my old number. Figures with FB! :D

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, we now know that Facebook has a lot of work to do with regard to security. They've been under fire from our congress and also several other governments around the world, most notably the UK and EU. I still have a registration with FB but I no longer use that account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, iggibar, I didn't mean to get personal when I posted about not caring. That was a bit harsh, in retrospect. Apologies to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.