• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Store Discounts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
Hi there. I have saved up some cash and am planning on getting my first ever Mac gear (baring the iPods I have owned over the years) after WWDC.

I plan to buy over the phone or on the net, what I want to know is do Apple Reps (the UK ones) on the phone do better prices than they do on their website? I know that might sound a bit cheeky but if I can save a little bit of cash I might as well try.

I know Apple is not the same company but I was always told if I found a PC I liked and called Dell they would lower the price when compared to their online stores price. So I tried this a few times and they always offered a discount.

I having waiting for years to switch over and now I think I might as well do it and get all the stuff I want in one lump. I know Apple does education discounts but I am no longer a student.

The Apple stuff I want to buy is (although it may change if spec is changed at WWDC but assuming nothing is changed):
1 Mac Mini - SuperDrive, 2GB RAM
1 MBP - 15" Glossy Screen, 3GB RAM, 160GB HDD, 256MB Graphics Card
1 Airport Extreme
1 23" Apple Cinema Display
1 Airport Express (to connect my Xbox 360 into so it works with the Airport Extreme)
1 Apple TV - 160GB version

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 ghz Macbook
apple don't tend to do discounts so you proble won't find any special offers or discounts.

the edu discount wouldn't be able to buy all of that anyway because you are limited to 1 computer a year.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
Thanks for your help mate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
the edu discount wouldn't be able to buy all of that anyway because you are limited to 1 computer a year.

That's incorrect! The education discount would have covered pretty much all of this... one computer in each category...

Purchase Quantity
Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year:

Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year
Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year
Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year
Apple TV: There is no limit on the quantity of Apple TV purchases per academic year
iPod: There is no limit on the quantity of iPod purchases per academic year

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 ghz Macbook
sorry i stand corrected, i knew there were limitations.

you can make quite a saving with the edu discount so i would try to find someone you know to get it.

also the apple care is massively discounted, from £200 to £60!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
In regards to the educational discount, I had mixed comments when I called around about it. The Apple phone rep I talked to said that even though my wife's school wasn't listed on the website, I could simply choose a local school to purchase through.

When I called the two Apple stores in my area, I had one guy pretty much tell me I couldn't purchase it through the store because they used the website, and a much nicer female rep try and help but came to the same conclusion. However, when I actually went to the store and said 'Hey, my wife has her paystub, but her school isn't in the system' they didn't even blink and told me no problem.

Just an FYI in case anyone runs into a similar situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 ghz Macbook
i brought my laptop through the university i study at in the local apple shop and i saved around £300/$600 on my macbook and apple care.

it depends what discount you get to where you are. for example a secondary school will only get a couple of % but a university will get 15%!

thats the UK anyway.

Reaction score
15%?? how do you get that. i'm in uni but when i did the education discount on their website it worked out about 6%? off i think. which was quite dissapointing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 ghz Macbook
i dunno :p i went into the shop and said which uni. he then looked in this folder and said how much discount it was for each product. when i got home i worked it out to be 15%.

6% is the normal discount for any education. also if you order online from home it is different discount from that of ordering from within the uni network as then apple can see you are at uni for proof.

Reaction score
hmm, thanks. ill have to go uni and see if its works there or i guess ill go to Birmingham apple store and ask in store then.

Reaction score
yeah thats the closest store to me, although i live in south wales, so its a long treck up there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 ghz Macbook
wow, and i thought i was far out from it with it being 30 minutes away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.