• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple releases 16GB iPhone & 32GB iPod Touch

Reaction score
Is this new 16Go iPhone the waited and famous SECOND GENERATION?

Or should we expect something even better later this year...

Comments?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This is definitely is NOT the second generation iPhone. This is simply a memory bump.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Oh for Pete's sakes! I bought my wife an iPhone 2 weeks ago after they failed to announce any new ones at MacWorld. Now this? grrr....

Well, it's not like it has depreciated in value the way products do when true next-gen models came out. At least it's still a $400 "value" product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
MeThinks...

I got my 8Gb Touch 9 days ago. What's the deal with having a 16Gb Touch if they slide the prices accross, or do you think they will just add on a price like in the U.S?

Also, my thoughts on the iPhone and iTouch 'next Gens'?

These are pieces of hardware to be upgraded by software and new memory capacities, I think and also hope that once you buy whatever capacity of hardware, you'll be able to stick with it for a good while. Seriously though, I can't see what they could add to either the touch or the phone to make them fantasticly different.

O.k, the phone could have 3G and a higher resolution camera hardware wise, but I mean, there's nothing that insane that could be added to either to make me go 'Oh, I see, well look at that, now that's clever'

I mean, way back on the first gen iPod, it would have been easy for someone to say "well, to make it better, I can imagine it having a colour screen".

Whereas with my touch? I can't see a thing that would make it better and NOT step all over the iPhones toes.

I doubt they'll slide the prices over here in the UK, cest la vie!

Mel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.
Oh great, i finally succumbed and got a 16Gb ipt. Nevermind, we in the UK won't get these for a while anyway.

The iphone and ipt use flash memory, not a small hdd. Do you real think a 65GB solid state hard drive in a music player is going to sell (affordable)?

Think of the one available for the macbook air...
attachment.php

Flash memory and ssd's are different. SSD's are designed to replace HDD's and can withstand the millions of read/write cycles, flash memory cannot do this. This is why SSD's are so expensive at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just went onto the modmyifone web site and these some useful info about new iphone owners.

Remember, if you bought your iPhone within the last 14 days, you CAN return it, pay the 10% restocking fee, nd the $100 difference and upgrade to the 16GB version. This version IS running the new bootloader and 1.1.3, so i currrently NOT unlockable.

Just thought i'd mention it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Oh great, i finally succumbed and got a 16Gb ipt. Nevermind, we in the UK won't get these for a while anyway.

I think Apple UK site has not been updated - the 16GB iPhone is available from 02 and has been since about 13.30 this afternoon. Clicky.

I would *guess* that if the updated iPhone is here then so is the iPod Touch - just not sure why they are not on the web-site yet...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think Apple UK site has not been updated - the 16GB iPhone is available from 02 and has been since about 13.30 this afternoon. Clicky.

I would *guess* that if the updated iPhone is here then so is the iPod Touch - just not sure why they are not on the web-site yet...

Well that's different, the UK getting stuff nearly the same time as the US. It's almost unheard of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that's different, the UK getting stuff nearly the same time as the US. It's almost unheard of.

Yes, it does make a nice change doesn't it :)

Reaction score
So if this is only a 'minor' improvement (memory upgrade), i guess the second generation will not appear any time soon, right?

Maybe next year?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
i think this memory update for the iphone unfortunately means that iphone2 must be further away than i thought :(

why would they take the time to improve the old iphone if a new 3G etc... one is anywhere close to release. it would seem rather pointless.

i dont know how much longer i can wait for 3G? my wifes 3G smartphone kicks my iphones on the speed end unless i am connected to wifi and it drives me crazy. i use my phone mainly for phone/internet/mail and had i really known how much i would be missing 3G i most likely would never have downgraded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
I still say they could very well release a next gen iphone this fall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Isn't there a big event just before Summer - wwdc? Any real big announcements would be dropped there wouldn't they?

Anyway - does anyone know if you have an 8GB iPhone on contract with o2 and now there's a new one - can you just buy the new phone and stick your SIM card in legally - or will there be another 18 month contract to sign?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
Isn't there a big event just before Summer - wwdc? Any real big announcements would be dropped there wouldn't they?

Anyway - does anyone know if you have an 8GB iPhone on contract with o2 and now there's a new one - can you just buy the new phone and stick your SIM card in legally - or will there be another 18 month contract to sign?

There is a big event right before Summer,correct.So they might make some major announcements ,so that Apple can make that sell threshold that is supposed to be made(With selling a certain amount of iPhones).I believe the 16GB iPhone is to appease the ones that do not need more in the phone other than memory.If there is not a 2nd Gen released by the next event,ill go ahead and purchase one and give my current iPhone to my wife .
I was also wondering about when an individual purchases an upgrade to this version iPhone and they are a current iPhone owner,is there an extra fee incurred?Or does it stay the same , just the information transfered over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It's not likely a new phone will be introed at WWDC. That's not really what that event is about. Having said that, I can imagine Apple could intro the 3G iPhone as early as this summer; that's enough time to make a considerable amount of money off the "new" higher capacity ones.

It's already been confirmed that the 3G will be out before the end of 2008. It may be later than sooner, but it's coming for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS

It's not likely a new phone will be introed at WWDC. That's not really what that event is about. Having said that, I can imagine Apple could intro the 3G iPhone as early as this summer; that's enough time to make a considerable amount of money off the "new" higher capacity ones.

It's already been confirmed that the 3G will be out before the end of 2008. It may be later than sooner, but it's coming for sure.

my thoughts as well.The way apple has become soo unpredictable who knows,maybe even in 2 months instead of the opposed 4.There was a senses of some sort of update because of Apples recent patents Early January(If my memory serves me correctly i actually posted the links somewhere here on the forum.)

Reaction score
I am getting huge laugh at this memory bump recently and all the pour suckers who recently bought an i what ever. I figured by now the really smart people would stop buying apple products because of a new version of the same thing thats not even 1 year old yet.

the price apple wants to charge for their SSD drives is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY over priced. Its all profit for them

Think about this. Years ago when the largest MP3 player you could get was a 4 gig. It cost about $239. At that same time a 4 gig CF card cost about $300 or more.

People figured out to save money, buy the 4gig MP3 player and crack it open and remove the 4gig CF card to be used in their camera.

SSD manufacturing is NOT that costly for Apple to charge almost a grand for 64 gig. If you get one your getting taken to the cleaners and I want to sell you a bridge.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Been looking for a new toy lately. But $500 to replace my 30GB iPod? Think I'll have to pass for now.

Reaction score
Am I the only one that thought the 32GB iPod touch would be released at $400?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
I just got the email, so it wasn't a "silent launch"? I don't need over 8GBs on my iPod Touch so there's no need for me to go upgrading. Some with find this as a relief though. Hopefully it helps apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.