Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP macOS Big Sur....iPad Air 2 64gB....iPhone 8+
I'm having issues trying to put the pictures in my Apple Photos into my iPhone and iPad. I have some pictures and some folders but not everything from my MacBook is on the other two devices. I have plenty of storage both internally and iCloud, I've synced my devices but no love. Please help.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
This may be due to your settings on the Mac and iDevices.

From your opening sentence, I'm assuming that you want to see ALL your Apple Mac Photos on your iDevices?

If that is the case, the following are the settings:

1. On your iDevices go into Settings > Photos and switch on "iCloud Photos" (you are offered options on file size and storage from which you can choose what suits). It explains underneath how that works.

2. On your Mac, open the Photos app > Photos Preferences (shortcut is Cmd plus comma or click on Photos icon in top menu bar and choose Preferences from there).

3. In Photo Preferences > click on iCloud and then check "iCloud Photos". It nicely explains how this stores the photos/videos and allows them to be seen on any of your devices. You can check "My Photo Stream" as well if you want. It explains what that does.

I think and hope that satisfies your requirements. Please don't hesitate to post back if not.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It can take a long time for pictures to sync across devices. You didn't say how many images you have, but Photos only syncs when the device is otherwise idle, so with that low priority, it can take a long time for the sync to complete.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
It can take a long time for pictures to sync across devices. You didn't say how many images you have, but Photos only syncs when the device is otherwise idle, so with that low priority, it can take a long time for the sync to complete.

Very true, Jake. And you would know if I remember correctly - or was it Rod? Forgot to mention that.

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP macOS Big Sur....iPad Air 2 64gB....iPhone 8+
Thanks everyone. I've done what was asked but I'm still not getting any love. Further issue which may or may not be related is that I have GB's of pics in the Photo app but apparently I don't have the original. So if I drag the folder of say my family to the desktop there are no pics in the folder. The only thing I can think of is to take a screen shot of every pic, crop it and put it in the folder and keep the new original.

I should add that I do have one folder in my Photo app that I do have the originals for and I can drag the folder to the desktop and the pictures show up, however it still doesn't show up on my device.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I don't think drag and drop works to get files out of Photos. For that you select the images you want, then on the top bar of Photos, select "File" and "Export" and point to where you want the image files saved. I'v confused by the "I don't have the original" statement. What makes you think that? Are you getting some message or error about that? And how did you import these pictures to Photos? There are two options, one to "Copy Items to the Photos Library" and the other, which is not to copy the items to the Photos database, but leave the image files where they are on your drive. If you chose the "copy" option, then the images should sync via iCloud to your iDevices. If you chose NOT to copy them into the database, then they won't sync to any iDevices because Photos doesn't have the image file to sync.

Hope that helped some.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.