Apple photos stuck - how to reset?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I don't quite understand how your 8TB External Hard Drive (EHD) could be almost fool - UNLESS - you have copied your original Photos Library 4 times - that is Originals, Photos Library 2 and 3 and 4.

As I was typing this, I got your next message - thank you:)

Is "Here's my Photos app" that you have shown, the one on the Mac? In other words, the one you are trying to copy to the EHD?

As to your first screenshot - "originals" - they look like a mixture of web pages, jpgs and "others". Again, sorry, but what do you see if you try to open any of these? I don't need a screenshot, just a description.

Lastly, for now, if you click to open Libraries 2, 3, and 4 what do you see. What I'm really asking is - are any of the 2,3,4 (or all) copies of the pictures in your Photos app on your Mac?

Sorry for all this hassle:)

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@searchless1

You've had a tough time with all of this. Rather than pursuing things; how about taking a break and, when you've time, come back and gently tell us exactly what you did.

I imagine you followed Jake's and my suggestions, but it's so easy for an error to occur in a complicated series of events.

So, when you are ready, take us through the steps you made.

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini-16Gmem,AcesryKit,Gigbit Ethrnt,256G SSDstorg,Apl M1chip w/8‑coreCPU,8‑coreGPU,16coreNurlEngn
I don't quite understand how your 8TB External Hard Drive (EHD) could be almost fool - UNLESS - you have copied your original Photos Library 4 times - that is Originals, Photos Library 2 and 3 and 4.

As I was typing this, I got your next message - thank you:)

Is "Here's my Photos app" that you have shown, the one on the Mac? In other words, the one you are trying to copy to the EHD?

As to your first screenshot - "originals" - they look like a mixture of web pages, jpgs and "others". Again, sorry, but what do you see if you try to open any of these? I don't need a screenshot, just a description.

Lastly, for now, if you click to open Libraries 2, 3, and 4 what do you see. What I'm really asking is - are any of the 2,3,4 (or all) copies of the pictures in your Photos app on your Mac?

Sorry for all this hassle:)

Ian
I copied everything i could from my mac to the EHD, to free up what turned out to be 2.2 TB b/c Jake said i needed at least 50 G free.

yes, my "Photos app" is the one on the Mac.

opened all 12 "originals" and they looked the same, files & files....

Went through each folder on the EHD, checking for individual photos.

Copied ALL individual photos from folders on EHD to one HUGE folder, which is what i originally wanted to do. Then deleted the folders, again after double checking.

Basically, i double/triple checked everything so that i wouldn't miss any photos.

Lastly, i'll get the "info" on the folder and see if i have an EHD the size (+) of the folder, to put only these raw photos on it for my X to have so that he can work with them in a photo editing app (ANY SUGGESTIONS?). I'll keep the folder on my 8T b/c many of my pix are in it.

emptied trash after double/triple checking.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
@searchless1, please stop DOING things on that machine. Stop erasing, moving, touching files. From your screenshots, you have a real mess potentially, and could end up losing ALL of the photos if you keep DOING things without really knowing what is going on. Let it rest, as Ian suggested, and work through the problem before doing anything more. Please just stop. Wait for Ian to give you more diagnostics that he need to sort out what is really on the two drives before messing with any of it.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini-16Gmem,AcesryKit,Gigbit Ethrnt,256G SSDstorg,Apl M1chip w/8‑coreCPU,8‑coreGPU,16coreNurlEngn
@searchless1, please stop DOING things on that machine. Stop erasing, moving, touching files. From your screenshots, you have a real mess potentially, and could end up losing ALL of the photos if you keep DOING things without really knowing what is going on. Let it rest, as Ian suggested, and work through the problem before doing anything more. Please just stop. Wait for Ian to give you more diagnostics that he need to sort out what is really on the two drives before messing with any of

:app 💯:loveit❗

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@searchless1

Sorry for the delay.

I copied everything i could from my mac to the EHD, to free up what turned out to be 2.2 TB b/c Jake said i needed at least 50 G free.
By everything, are you referring to your Photos Library or did you include other files/data?

And while we are on the subject, could you just confirm that you Copy/Pasted the Photos Library as Jake said in words, and I in words and pictures? Did you do exactly as advised or did you modify the instructions?

yes, my "Photos app" is the one on the Mac.
Good. I'll come back to that in a moment.

Went through each folder on the EHD, checking for individual photos.
I understand what you say; but does that include Photos Libraries 2,3 and 4?

Copied ALL individual photos from folders on EHD to one HUGE folder, which is what i originally wanted to do. Then deleted the folders, again after double checking.

And can you access all these photos now? If you look at a particular photograph, is there the appropriate metadata associated with that photograph. By metadata, I mean - if you left click to highlight the photograph, then Right Click on the photograph, this should bring up a small window with "Get Info" at the top. Can you see that and if you can, Click on "Get Info" and it should bring up something like this:

S1.jpg

It may/may not show you the map, but can you see all the data above it?

It really is important we know the answer to that question. If you have copied the Photos Library as advised, the metadata for each photograph should be intact.

I understand that you have now deleted everything else - the original Folders etc and emptied the trash bin. So they are gone for good.

Lastly, i'll get the "info" on the folder and see if i have an EHD the size (+) of the folder, to put only these raw photos on it for my X to have so that he can work with them in a photo editing app (ANY SUGGESTIONS?). I'll keep the folder on my 8T b/c many of my pix are in it.

Please don't do that or, indeed anything, with this huge Folder of photographs - not till we can sort things out - which means, please, please answer each question above. It's important.

Lastly, for the moment at any rate;

I need you to confirm that your original Photos Library is still on your Mac-
(a) if you Right Click the Photos app icon on your Mac, what options are offered?
(b) We are looking for your ORIGINAL library - NOT anything on the EHD
(c) If you see it, can you select it and Open it please?

Can see all the photographs as they were before?

Does "Get Info" bring up the metadata for any photograph you choose. To achieve this, repeat the advise I gave above.

Your answers are crucial :) ;)

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@searchless1
By everything, are you referring to your Photos Library or did you include other files/data?
everything on my computer. files on desktop, movies, music (inc'l itunes), downloads, pix.
And while we are on the subject, could you just confirm that you Copy/Pasted the Photos Library as Jake said in words, and I in words and pictures? Did you do exactly as advised or did you modify the instructions?
"Open Photos, click on "Photos" in the upper left corner of the screen, then General tab and you will see the Library Location listed. Note the location and name, then click on Show In Finder to go there. Copy that file from where it is to where you want it to be. Now close Photos and reopen it again with Option key and it will ask which library to use, point to the new location and it should open just fine.

"...copying the image files into the Library? You can check that also on the same Preferences page, down a couple of items on the General Tab. If the "Copy items to the Photos Library" is checked..."
I understand what you say; but does that include Photos Libraries 2,3 and 4?
yes
And can you access all these photos now? If you look at a particular photograph, is there the appropriate metadata associated with that photograph. By metadata, I mean - if you left click to highlight the photograph, then Right Click on the photograph, this should bring up a small window with "Get Info" at the top. Can you see that and if you can, Click on "Get Info" and it should bring up something like this:

View attachment 36477

It may/may not show you the map, but can you see all the data above it?
yes
I need you to confirm that your original Photos Library is still on your Mac-
(a) if you Right Click the Photos app icon on your Mac, what options are offered?
(b) We are looking for your ORIGINAL library - NOT anything on the EHD
(c) If you see it, can you select it and Open it please?
Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 1.22.55 PM.png
I can open the photos app.
But i don't think you meant this. Please give more specific instructions.
Can see all the photographs as they were before?
yes
Does "Get Info" bring up the metadata for any photograph you choose.
yes
To achieve this, repeat the advice I gave above.
checked for metadata on several.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
everything on my computer. files on desktop, movies, music (inc'l itunes), downloads, pix.

"Open Photos, click on "Photos" in the upper left corner of the screen, then General tab and you will see the Library Location listed. Note the location and name, then click on Show In Finder to go there. Copy that file from where it is to where you want it to be. Now close Photos and reopen it again with Option key and it will ask which library to use, point to the new location and it should open just fine.

"...copying the image files into the Library? You can check that also on the same Preferences page, down a couple of items on the General Tab. If the "Copy items to the Photos Library" is checked..."

yes

yes

View attachment 36479
I can open the photos app.
But i don't think you meant this. Please give more specific instructions.

yes

yes

checked for metadata on several.
JUST CHECKED MY EHD. CLICKED ON PHOTOS 1 (YUP IT'S THERE) ,2,3&4. THEY ALL OPENED UP/SWITCHED.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well done, "young" lady. I have to admit that I have been very concerned about this whole business. It's a big job and, so far, it seems you have succeeded against the odds.;)

To my honest surprise and to your credit, it seems that your entire library has been copied over to the 8TB EHD. You confirm that you can see any picture and its metadata within the "HUGE" Folder you have created on that EHD.

I think you have also confirmed that your original Photos Library on your Mac is still accessible and that the metadata is preserved when selecting individual photographs. On this point, you asked for more specific instructions - but you also said that "I can open the Photos app". That's what I wanted you to do.

The usual way is simply to Left Click on the Photos app icon on your Mac: S1.jpg

That normally opens the Photos Library on your Mac. BUT - I wanted to be sure that it WAS the one on your Mac which is why I suggested you Right Clicked the icon which brings up all the Libraries; just in case you were looking at the EHD library. However, you appear to be satisfied that what you opened was the original Photos Library on your Mac. And also said that you can view individual photographs AND their metadata.

If that is so, then all is good.

PS I've just read your latest post which appeared as I was typing and that is also good news.

I have to admit that I'm relieved.:)

Ian

Attachments

• S1.jpg
    S1.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 0
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well done, "young" lady. I have to admit that I have been very concerned about this whole business. It's a big job and, so far, it seems you have succeeded against the odds.;)

To my honest surprise and to your credit, it seems that your entire library has been copied over to the 8TB EHD. You confirm that you can see any picture and its metadata within the "HUGE" Folder you have created on that EHD.

I think you have also confirmed that your original Photos Library on your Mac is still accessible and that the metadata is preserved when selecting individual photographs. On this point, you asked for more specific instructions - but you also said that "I can open the Photos app". That's what I wanted you to do.

The usual way is simply to Left Click on the Photos app icon on your Mac: View attachment 36481

That normally opens the Photos Library on your Mac. BUT - I wanted to be sure that it WAS the one on your Mac which is why I suggested you Right Clicked the icon which brings up all the Libraries; just in case you were looking at the EHD library. However, you appear to be satisfied that what you opened was the original Photos Library on your Mac. And also said that you can view individual photographs AND their metadata.

If that is so, then all is good.

PS I've just read your latest post which appeared as I was typing and that is also good news.

I have to admit that I'm relieved.:)

Ian
SO MUCH GRATITUDE TO YOU AND JAKE!!!! :app 💯:loveit❗

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to remind you that all the music, files, videos and others that you moved to your EHD in order to create more space on your Mac, means that they need to be backed up from time to time. They represent the only copy you have.

As for your Photos Library, that remains on your Mac. The purpose of your great endeavour was to create more working space on your Mac - which you have achieved. To that end, we originally suggested that after confirming all was well with the Photos on the EHD, you deleted the Photos Library on your Mac.

For the moment, I think you can hold off on that till you are fully satisfied that all NEW photos & videos are going into your Folder on the EHD. In other words, when you add to the Photos app, the new material is being directed to the EHD Library and NOT to your Mac's Library.

Do please keep us posted on how things are going as we are not completely done yet.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
They represent the only copy you have.
And when you back the files/data up, use a separate drive, not the same drive.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to remind you that all the music, files, videos and others that you moved to your EHD in order to create more space on your Mac, means that they need to be backed up from time to time. They represent the only copy you have.
I've tried many times to b/u since all this, and my dedicated drive won't do it b/c my mac is too full. 🤔

well, remember i just freed up a gazillion gigs?

If it ain't one thing....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I've tried many times to b/u since all this, and my dedicated drive won't do it b/c my mac is too full
HOW have you been backing up, or trying to? What drive, what messages, what application are you using?

"It won't work" isn't really much help.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In post #19, you said "I now have 129.94 GB available on my Mac."

I took that to mean, that after the copying of the Photos Library and the moving of lots of other data to your EHD, you "gained roughly 130GB of free/unused space.

So, why is your Mac's drive full?? You did MOVE all your music, files, data etc? Not COPY?

If you haven't rebooted your Mac since the copying & moving, do that now. See if that clears out some space for you.

And by the way, when I pointed out to you that copying and moving things to your 8GB EHD meant that you had only one version of all that data, I said that you need to backup (BU) that EHD from time to time.

Otherwise, loss of the 8GB EHD means loss of almost everything essential to you.

Of course, you should BU the Mac as well. Time Machine (TM) would seem the obvious choice for that. Have you used TM before?

As regards the 8GB EHD, you would need to acquire another EHD of similar storage space and perhaps use a cloning app to "clone" everything on the primary 8GB EHD to the new EHD. Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) or SuperDuper! (SD!) would serve this purpose well. (I can supply links to these apps if you are unfamiliar with them. They are pay-for apps)

Summary:

Please come back to report-

1. You did MOVE all the data you mentioned to the 8TB EHD. And only COPIED the Photos Library there.
2. After rebooting the Mac, please tell us the stated amount of free space available.
3. Going from 130GB of free space to near zero needs an explanation

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OOPS!!
just moved iMusic tom EHD and something else.
trashed them on the mac.
emptied trash,
rebooted.
i have 42 gigs on the mac.
plugged in the time machine drive and tried again.
IT WORKED!!!!!
FROM ONE OL' GEEZER TO TWO FABULOUS GEEZERS🎇🎶💞🏅✨🙏:loveit

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oops!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
just moved iMusic tom EHD and something else.
trashed them on the mac.
emptied trash,
rebooted.
i have 42 gigs on the mac.
plugged in the time machine drive and tried again.
IT WORKED!!!!!

I'm relieved to hear of your success in this long saga, and I was about to reply and suggest you get and hire a nice Mac helper assistant to help you get things sorted out and up-to-date and they may well have some good advice and possible equipment purchase suggestions you may need to carry on without losing everything.

It may result in the best and worthwhile expenditure you have ever paid for.

- Patrick
=======

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that 🔝didn't work.

So, short explanation:
backed up specific folders on mini to time machine. (after 3 hrs of googling, trying, etc.)

As regards the 8GB EHD, you would need to acquire another EHD of similar storage space and perhaps use a cloning app to "clone" everything on the primary 8GB EHD to the new EHD. Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) or SuperDuper! (SD!) would serve this purpose well. (I can supply links to these apps if you are unfamiliar with them. They are pay-for apps)
yes, please do.

1. You did MOVE all the data you mentioned to the 8TB EHD. And only COPIED the Photos Library there.
yes
2. After rebooting the Mac, please tell us the stated amount of free space available.
Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 11.13.18 AM.png
3. Going from 130GB of free space to near zero needs an explanation
i don't remember that.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm relieved to hear of your success in this long saga, and I was about to reply and suggest you get and hire a nice Mac helper assistant to help you get things sorted out and up-to-date and they may well have some good advice and possible equipment purchase suggestions you may need to carry on without losing everything.

It may result in the best and worthwhile expenditure you have ever paid for.

- Patrick
=======
hi Patrick,
I TRY to live on $1K social security disability income.
These guys are so great at helping me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.