Apple Music: Love or Add to library/playlist?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Mac Mini (8/512), M2 Macbook Air (8/256), Studio Display
I am always wondering what is the best way to "train" the Apple Music algorithm.

Should I Love and Suggest Less a song, or just add it to a library or playlist when I like it and skip it when I don't like it?

I listen to Apple Music mostly on Mac. So there are no shortcuts to get to the Apple Music app and Love a song...

How are you doing this on a Mac?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Adding a song to a Playlist and/or the library is not the same as telling Apple Music whether you "Love" or "Suggest Less" that particular song.

They are two different things. The first is your choice - Playlist or Library. The second is to assist Apple in selecting songs of a similar genre or artist which it thinks you might be interested in.

Ian

OP
macuros
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, I thought adding to the playlist would be enough for an algorithm to make suggestions.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The playlist is your selection. Nothing is going to mess with it. If you make it a smart playlist, the contents will vary based on your rules. I like to sync my top-rated songs to my iPod for travel listening and use a smart playlist for this.

What I'm unclear about is what choosing Love or Dislike is going to do to my local library. I've seen this have an effect on streaming services. But how does this change my local library? Where would I even use this information locally to tailor my listening?

OP
macuros
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently, I am using an app that has a shortcut to Love or Dislike a song. It is working fine, but eats up resources maybe a bit too much (or not, I just want to use as few apps as possible for such things).

Since there is a shortcut to get the current song and add it to a playlist I thought this would be enough.

But just now I can see that the shortcut is not working when listening for instance to a Discovery station. I guess I am stuck with that app for liking and disliking songs. Well, this is at least the easiest way.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
The playlist is your selection. Nothing is going to mess with it

Totally agree.

If you make it a smart playlist, the contents will vary based on your rules.

Likewise, complete agreement.

What I'm unclear about is what choosing Love or Dislike is going to do to my local library.

Good point. My experience is that it does nothing - other than identify your preferences. It doesn't change the contents of your library.

And, why wouldn't I agree with you Ashwin:). You're our mentor;):D

Ian

OP
macuros
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The playlist is your selection. Nothing is going to mess with it. If you make it a smart playlist, the contents will vary based on your rules.
Yes, but when playing a Discovery station or My station will the algorithm take into account the songs in a particular playlist? If yes, then I don’t have to care about Love songs or Suggest less.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but when playing a Discovery station or My station will the algorithm take into account the songs in a particular playlist? If yes, then I don’t have to care about Love songs or Suggest less.

Truthfully? I've no idea :)

But if I were you, I'd continue to click on "Love" and "Suggest less" (whatever the exact wording is).

Ian

OP
macuros
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But if I were you, I'd continue to click on "Love" and "Suggest less" (whatever the exact wording is).
I am continuing to do so, yes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.