Apple MBA and external screen

Reaction score
I've just bought a new MBA, which I use with an external screen. I previously had an older version of a MBA which I setup for some apps to open on the external screen and others on the main screen - I did this by opening the app and if I wanted it on my external screen, I'd drag the open window onto the external screen and after that, usually, the app would remember which screen to launch on.

My new MBA won't do that. Is there a step/setting that is now needed to be enabled, to allow this behaviour to happen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
When it's open, the app will show on the Dock. Right click on the icon on the Dock, then Options and select on which display and desktop you want it to open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have multiple desktops? (Swipe up with three fingers on the trackpad, if you have multiple Desktops, they will show on the top bar.) If not, create a second Desktop and see if the option appears as I described it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For anybody reading this and wondering how to do it, to create multiple desktops swipe up with three or more fingers and click on the "+" on the top right of the top menu bar to add a desktop. You can then select Desktops by either swiping up and clicking on the one you want or swiping left or right with 3 fingers on the trackpad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.