Apple maps, save planned route

Reaction score
I know how to create a route on Apple maps with multiple stops but I can't find a way to save it, so I don't have to recreate the route every time I want to do the trip, could someone please tell me how to do this?
Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Mac-Forums mobile app

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Potentially you can't save routes created on the phone. But this article seems to indicate that you can do so on your Mac and share with devices.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
This may/may not assist you, but I've always found this guy to be really helpful via his videos.

Even if you have more or less mastered Apple Maps, there's detail here which may interest you.

Ian

OP
T
Reaction score
Potentially you can't save routes created on the phone. But this article seems to indicate that you can do so on your Mac and share with devices.

Well that's what it says but clicking on the links that says you can it says
You can only share driving routes that don’t contain multiple stops...
I tried Waze and Google maps but whilst you can create a multi stop journey, you can't save it.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Mac-Forums mobile app

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
In this article from Apple:

It says this:

Automatically get directions on your iPhone or iPad​

After you search a route on Mac, you can easily open it in the Maps app on your iPhone (with iOS 16 or later) or iPad (with iPadOS 16 or later) where you’ve signed in with the same Apple ID.
  1. Open the Maps app on iPhone or iPad.
  2. Scroll down in the search card to Recents, then tap the route.
For more information about getting and following directions on iPhone or iPad, see “Use Siri, Maps, and the Maps widget to get directions” in the user guide for iPhone or iPad.
And this:

Says this:
Note: You can only share driving routes that don’t contain multiple stops. If you want to see a route with multiple stops on your iPhone or iPad, see Automatically get directions on your iPhone or iPad.
That last reference takes you to the first article I listed.

So, it seems if you plan it on the Mac, and open it later on an iPhone with the same AppleID, you can find what you planned. Awkward, but worth trying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I just did a route with one stop in the middle, planned on my MBP in Maps. Then clicked on "File" and "Send to Device" and it suggested my iPhone, which I selected. Then, on the iPhone, I tapped on Search maps, then on the "More" on the right side of the "Recents" header and there it was, just as planned. Start, mid stop, destination.

So it looks to me like it works, despite what the documentation seems to say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use nothing from Google. Nothing.

Okay, but that's really no reason that the OP needs to follow your example if another application can work better for them and do what they want to do much easier.

But congratulations on discovering a workaround method of getting it to work and being available to use a saved copy using Apple Maps despite what the documentation says.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But congratulations on discovering a workaround method of getting it to work and being available to use a saved copy using Apple Maps despite what the documentation says.
It is not a "workaround." Nothing strange or weird to do, no jumping through hoops.

1. Make the plan on the Mac.
2. Send it to the iDevice.
3. Open the iDevice.
4. Open and use the plan.

Done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to show it works, a few pictures.

This is the plan in Maps on my MBP. It starts in Castle Combe, with a stop in Bradford-on-Avon for a tearoom, then finishes at a hotel in Southampton. It's a plan for a trip I'm planning for next month:
Screenshot 2023-08-17 at 8.05.15 PM.jpg

And here it is on my iPhone, opened as I said by going to Recents and tapping on the route name after using "File," "Send to Device."

IMG_3245.jpeg

No tricks, no workaround. The one requirement is that the Mac and iDevice need to use the same AppleID. Pretty straightforward. And now that it's on my iPhone, it should just stay there in "Recents" like any other route.

I don't know why the Apple documentation says what it says, but it does what the OP wants.

EDIT: The OP has a Pixel, so the issue is probably on the Android end. But inside the Apple environment, it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.