Apple Maps for an iMac desktop ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS Ventura 13.5.2), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
The Apple Maps App, unlike Google Maps, is for mobile devices only it seems.

But what navigation app is available for my desktop iMac ? I need to plan a route on my iMac at home, then transfer it to my iPhone for use on the road.

Google Maps and its sister My Maps, doesn't allow a personalised route to be used on a mobile Apple device. See below.

Screenshot 2020-07-30 15.26.10.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
..there is the Maps app on your Mac and it has been there for a few releases now. But it will not do what you want since it's not designed for that. You will likely need a router planner application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
In the original thread, you posted about your adventures with Google Maps. One of the challenges you are going to face is that as soon as you set out, the mobile map planner will immediately recalculate the route based on the settings, which are normally the fastest or shortest, although I've also seen "easiest" which apparently avoids turns. I think all of the active tracking map applications work that way. So even if you can transfer the map you have custom designed for your specific route, it probably won't work.

I think your best approach might be to see if there is a local biking group you can contact either online or by going to a meeting and ask them what they do/use. Generic mapping applications are probably not going to do what you want.

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS Ventura 13.5.2), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
In the original thread, you posted about your adventures with Google Maps. One of the challenges you are going to face is that as soon as you set out, the mobile map planner will immediately recalculate the route based on the settings, which are normally the fastest or shortest, although I've also seen "easiest" which apparently avoids turns. I think all of the active tracking map applications work that way. So even if you can transfer the map you have custom designed for your specific route, it probably won't work.

I think your best approach might be to see if there is a local biking group you can contact either online or by going to a meeting and ask them what they do/use. Generic mapping applications are probably not going to do what you want.
I've recently become aware of a German designed, though worldwide, routing App called Calimoto (calimoto.com) which preserves your custom route while giving you the option of 'its' selected route, designed primarily with motorcyclists in mind. I have it but have yet to try it out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've recently become aware of a German designed, though worldwide, routine App called Calimoto (calimoto.com) which preserves your custom route while giving you the option of 'its' selected route, designed primarily with motorcyclists in mind. I have it but have yet to try it out.
"calimoto.com" Looks like its a little $$$$ after the first trip.

KenK

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Plenty of free functionality in calimoto KenK here ..... doesn't have to cost anything; and on-going it seems.

Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 08.30.35.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.