Apple Mail Savior Needed

Reaction score
Hi there,

So, while moving to a new mail server, I accidentally deleted my mailbox/account in Mail. It was a POP account.

Making a new account and connecting it to the server, restored all my messages in the inbox, but not the "sent" messages. I think there might have been an option to not store these on the mail server, but only locally on my Mac.

This archive of sent messages is vital to me, so I hope someone here can help me find and restore them.

I've already looked in my "Library/Mail folder and can see a "tree" of folders associated with my new account and a general one for "Mailboxes".
There's nothing for my old account.
As I navigate into the "Mailboxes" folder and look in the "Outbox.mbox, there're lots of folders, but when I eventually navigate to the end, the "Messages" folder, there are no files there. Usually there would be files with an .emlx extension.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mads

Running Mail Version 5.3
OS X 10.7.5
2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My first and only question to you is: Were you making Time Machine backups? If yes, recovering the outbox (sent items) is possible, if not, then it's unlikely you can recover those sent items without using data recovery software. And even with data recovery software, it's difficult to piece recovered mail data together because of the format used to store it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for the swift reply. Unfortunately I never took the time to set up Time Machine. Lesson learned.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.