Apple Mail Goes Wonky in El Capitan: Won't delete messages; loads my mail history

Reaction score
Since I upgraded to El Capitan, my Apple Mail is doing two very strange things:

1) It has loaded every bit of past mail that I have into my Inbox. So now, instead of a manageable amount of mail there, and the rest put into organized folders, I have 46k+ messages clogging things up. It seems to have something to do with my Gmail account (I manage several email accounts in Apple Mail). The people at the Genius Bar had no idea other than acknowledging an Apple/Google fight. But this happened only when I installed El Capitan, so chasing my Gmail settings hasn’t helped - this seems like an Apple problem.

2) It has started to not let me delete certain messages. There’s no pattern, but when I try to delete some emails, the messages stay there, though they turn from a solid black to gray font, as though they know they’ve been marked for something, but aren’t going anywhere.

Any ideas? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As has been reported, Google (the owners of gmail) are converting accounts to IMAP. You didn't mention which type account you had but it's possible all your mail is showing up in your inbox but actually resides on the server.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks much. Right now Gmail is running as a POP account - would changing it to IMAP be better or worse?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure your gmail account is still running as POP? It sounds as if it may have been converted to IMAP which would also leave your POP account intact. Otherwise all those email messages would not appear in your inbox.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.