Apple is building a classical music streaming app after buying Primephonic

Reaction score
Apple is expanding its music streaming options after buying classical service Primephonic. Apple Music aims to release a dedicated classical music app next year, which will combine Primephonic’s user interface with some of Apple's own features.

"As a classical-only startup, we can not reach the majority of global classical listeners, especially those that listen to many other music genres as well," Primephonic wrote in a letter to users on its website. "We therefore concluded that in order to achieve our mission, we need to partner with a leading streaming service that encompasses all music genres and also shares our love for classical music."

Primephonic has closed its doors to new users and it will shut down on September 7th. Subscribers will get a prorated refund and six months of Apple Music access for free. They'll be able to listen to hundreds of thousands of classical albums while Apple builds the forthcoming app. Apple says all of those albums are available in lossless and high-res audio. Hundreds of them have spatial audio support as well.

Apple is promising Apple Music subscribers a "significantly improved classical music experience" following the deal, including Primephonic playlists and exclusive audio content. In the coming months, it plans to harness the capabilities of Primephonic to offer classical music fans improved browsing and search functions. You'll be able to look for works by composer and repertoire, and see "detailed displays of classical music metadata."

“We love and have a deep respect for classical music, and Primephonic has become a fan favorite for classical enthusiasts,” Oliver Schusser, vice president of Apple Music and Beats, said. “Together, we’re bringing great new classical features to Apple Music, and in the near future, we’ll deliver a dedicated classical experience that will truly be the best in the world.”

Click here to view the article...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@RadDave This seems like it might be right up your alley. Then again, you probably already have more classical music than you can listen to anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
@RadDave This seems like it might be right up your alley. Then again, you probably already have more classical music than you can listen to anyway.

Hi Sly - first, I came in late to the thread checking on your when Ida hit Louisiana - glad that you did well - listening to NPR at the moment interviewing those trying to clean up the mess - will be weeks to months, I suspect - we just had a little rain as the storm went to the northeast which was hit w/ a LOT of water!

Second, thanks for the mention of Primephonic/Apple - my classical music forum is the Good-Music-Guide and there is a 'streaming music thread' which has been posting for a number of pages on this topic. I own 4000+ classical CDs (about half as many non-classical) and stream a lot from Pandora and Spotify (on my son's account so free to me), the latter has just TONS of classical (and other) music to offer and I have dozens of playlists setup; his account allows 320 kbps streaming which I send optically to my den stereo (hard if even possible to tell the difference vs. playing a CD) - in fact, I'm not buying that many CDs, just pick a streaming playlist when I want to listen to something not in my collection. So probably won't be a subscriber (nor one to Amazon Music) - just so many people wanting your money these days on the internet. Stay safe - Dave

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I signed up for Apple Music as part of a bundle that included additional iCloud space as a bonus. I do Pandora but I use the free account rather than a paid one. One of these days I may have to make a finer comparison between Spotify and Apple Music.

Thanks for thinking of us. We got veery little rain/wind in our area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OT... sorry...
Thanks for thinking of us. We got veery little rain/wind in our area.

Sorry for the OT remarks but I just thought I would mention an interesting bit...
It seems that the Eastern Canada Maritimes got nailed more than you did...

Heavy rain from the remnants of Hurricane Ida made its way over Atlantic Canada Thursday evening.

Rainfall warnings remained in place late in the afternoon for Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, as well as parts of New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Quebec.There have been some power outages across the region.

Plus power outages in Halifax and Lunenburg and several other places...

How do such storms have the ability to carry so much rain for such far distances??? Amazing nature is...

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This storm packed a staggering amount of wind and rain with it. Obviously, it did quite a bit of damage to coastal areas of the state. Had the storm followed its original projected course, we would have had much more weather here than we did.

It looks like the same course changes which caused the storm to affect the Northeastern U.S. affected parts of Canada. I hope all is well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.