• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple in court over iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
Can you explain what you mean by this?

personally, Mavericks is taking up over 5GB of "who knows what" in my MacBook air, 2011
i know what files i have and use and clean the airbook monthly.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As far as that lawsuit is concerned I'm not a lawyer but I don't see it really going much of anywhere. If you look at operating systems for various devices and from various manufacturers I'd bet they have one thing in common: Each subsequent release of the OS probably took up more space than the previous one. That does not however mean that users were "forced" to pay for cloud space.

If I have an 8 GB device for example the OS may indeed take up more space but that doesn't generally mean I am forced to pay for additional iCloud space. I could do either of the following:
1. Continue using the older OS until I really "need" one of the new features. This coming from someone still running IOS 7 on an iPhone 4S.
2. Look for alternatives to iCloud for storing data.
3. Rethink the amount of data on my phone.
4. Update the phone to one with more storage so that storage is not an issue.
5. Use another device probably from another manufacturer.

Not attempting to be snotty here. Merely pointing out that there is not a direct correlation between loss of storage space on the device and purchase of additional iCloud space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
Not attempting to be snotty here. Merely pointing out that there is not a direct correlation between loss of storage space on the device and purchase of additional iCloud space.
Oh, no snootiness on your part, I'm frustrated, but there are other things important on this planet than suing apple over incompetence, i just want to inform us we need to 'watch out!"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, I guess you can always switch to Windows since you're so unhappy with Apple. But you had better get a larger hard drive..... Windows 8 x 32 bit uses 16 GB and Windows 8 x 64 bit wants 20 GB. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I guess you can always switch to Windows since you're so unhappy with Apple. But you had better get a larger hard drive..... Windows 8 x 32 bit uses 16 GB and Windows 8 x 64 bit wants 20 GB. ;)

Im not haply with 2014 apple, i love everything since!
i am going to fire up a HP laptop i found last summer just for fun!
no offense, but buying products is not a solution, that is offered as advice here way too much, managing space is more feasible and creative!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
no offense, but buying products is not a solution, that is offered as advice here way too much, managing space is more feasible and creative!

I didn't take his comment that way at all. I took it merely as an indication of how much space other operating systems take up by comparison.

While a few of our members might seem to default to the "you need new gear" response, I doubt that's the dominant approach. Several of our members, myself included, are running reasonably well on older gear.

C

chas_m

banesto is a good example of the sort of person who shouldn't be put on juries. He appears to have made up his mind without any facts, or listening to both sides.

This case will be about as successful as the "Real" case, if it even gets that far. There is no provable link between "other" (which is simply done for simplification sake; would you even known what /var/private is if it were listed?) and any attempt to sell anyone iCloud space. The case has very little if any merit and is very very unlikely to get far, presuming that the judge involved is not a complete tech illiterate.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
banesto is a good example of the sort of person who shouldn't be put on juries. He appears to have made up his mind without any facts, or listening to both sides.
Didn't you do this in saying what followed this quote (making a decision without hearing both sides)? ;)

banesto, the 5GB being used is not purposefully obscured - Apple just isn't providing granular details about what is part of the Other category. That's a huge difference when considering the idea that this case is predicated on Apple misleading consumers.

OP
dtravis7

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There are so many different type of files, that is where other comes in. They can not list them all for goodness sake!

And what set me off is the first post by the OP where he said computer like Other on OSX is some hidden tactic by Apple to deceive us.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
:( It seems to me that most companies, products and services, have their advantages and disadvantages, so it all depends on what people are willing to put up with. What saddens me most is how they get away with the deceptions. I love my Mac and Ipad but when I read news about things Apple does that are less than honorable, it makes me sick.

They have a good, loyal customer base, and their products are better than the cheap garbage we switched from. If they want to stay on top, they'd better do right by their customers, or they'll find themselves on the losing end. It's really sad to see these stories of lawsuits- I thought they were better than that.

When people have had enough, from whatever company they're dealing with, they'll look elsewhere, or just do without. Maybe someone will make something better, and be reasonable. It seems the only way companies will do what they should, is when they lose their customer base. Hit them where it hurts. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
There are so many different type of files, that is where other comes in. They can not list them all for goodness sake!

And what set me off is the first post by the OP where he said computer like Other on OSX is some hidden tactic by Apple to deceive us.

Meh, it's so not worth bothering Travis. The other category has been explained before. I know, I've done it. If people wish to believe it's a conspiracy, they will. I say, let em... No skin off of my nose.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.