Apple ID

Reaction score
I have bought my wife an iPhone 8 do I use my Apple ID or do I set a new Apple ID for my wife the reason I ask is I am going to transfer all her photo's and contacts from her android phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I tried using my apple id on my husband's phone when he first got an iPhone. It did not work out well. Texts, photos, contacts and anything stored in iCloud will be on both phones. Now I don't care if my husband sees any text or photo I take but he would come to me and say things like, "Why is your girl friend texting me?" So it is much simpler to have two id's. Also that gives you both 5GB of iCloud storage.
Just set up her own apple id. Save yourself the mess I got into. ;)

Lisa

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
This is a really good question.

It all depends on how you and your wife wish to progress. If you use your Apple ID, then Apple considers that new iPhone to belong to you as well as any other Apple products you may own - eg your own phone, is it also an iPhone?

If, on the other hand, you create an Apple ID for your wife, then Apple recognises her ownership of that iPhone.

In case 1: apart from having her own phone number, her iPhone and yours will effectively in sync. You can, of course, select exactly which features on her phone she wishes to sync with yours via iCloud. Contacts? Calendar? Keychain? Photos? Reminders? Notes? Safari with all its settings and Passwords? And so on.

Messages requires careful consideration because unless you undertake certain adjustments (which I could outline), you will both receive each other's messages. Many husbands/wives are happy with this. Quite a lot aren't.

In case 2: You and your wife have your own phone with no crossover or sync between them. You and she can separately sync whatever you both want to another Apple device which you or she own. But you cannot sync anything between your selves.

However, say you - can Share Contacts, Calendars, Photos etc with your wife. They remain yours, but she sees them and can make adjustments to them as part of the sharing process.

With all that out of the way: which is it to be? Your Apple ID and you own both - or you and she are completely separate individuals??

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have bought my wife an iPhone 8 do I use my Apple ID or do I set a new Apple ID for my wife the reason I ask is I am going to transfer all her photo's and contacts from her android phone.
I would suggest using your Apple ID on your devices...and wife has her own Apple ID for her devices.

You never know...each of you may prefer different iOS versions...and each of you may prefer to have your own apps. Some apps the same & some apps different.:)

Plus for reasons like transferring data from an older phone to a newer phone...(or back up purposes)...both of your phones should be in separate "buckets" so to speak.

Very likely you & your wife may have different contacts in your contacts list...different "to do" lists...different username & password lists...different photos & videos taken on the phone.

All in all...better/easier in the long run to keep things seperate.:)

Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just want to add one more comment.....

A lot depends on the interaction between you and your wife regarding texts, email, and even some apps. Also whether or not your wife is savvy enough to deal with all of that on her own.

My wife and I use a single Apple ID which is easier for us (me) to manage.

Your choice. Both ways have advantages and disadvantages.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.