• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple HomeKit Smart Home Ecosystem?!?

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I really wasn't sure where exactly to put this is the best topic area. So that's why it's in the off-topic section. Because it really doesn't fall under one particular Apple hardware over another. Basically I am slowly upgrading our 1994 mobile home to be fully Apple HomeKit compatible. Stuff like thermostat door locks video doorbell the security cameras lighting wall switches wall outlet just a second name a few.

Currently I have a Apple 4K TV that I would use to control everything and access it through my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I am grandfathered in on Sprint's iPhone a year plan as well, so as soon as I come available I'll be upgrading to the iPhone 13 pro max. But I was wanting to figure out a ecosystem I could buy into with the least amount of third-party software that I could control the entire house via HomeKit.

In my case where I'm handicap and have an issue at home I cannot have it automatically set the tech that and throw in a pre-programmed sequence to let emergency services in. Basically like with an Apple Watch, with the cellular and Wi-Fi chip, that could detect if I have a fall. And worst case scenario knocks me unconscious. Which has happened several times in the last two years honestly. But I would like it to where the Watch could trigger a sequence where it would call for assistance on 911 sending them my location as well as unlock the front door and make a smart LED bulb on my porch start flashing red and blue for easy identification of the house. That's just a small example of what I'd like to do. Particularly since I'm in my hospital bed paralyzed 20 to 24 hours a day, the more automation I can get my home the better I will make me for an independent living.

Like I said currently I have an iPhone 12 promax, Apple TV 4K, as well as my mom a Apple third generation which I know isn't compatible. Also my mom has a iPhone 11. Eventually I wanna get us some HomePod speakers play throughout the house so God for bid there is a fall and can't reach anything. They can still hear me no matter where I am. Also not to mention I would like to upgrade to an Apple TV 4K HDR10 model to fully utilize my Sony 4K HDR 10 TV from 2017.

So you can tell I have definitely put a lot of thought into this.

My question is what would be a good brands to look into. For example right now I have a Honeywell thermostat, but I am seriously thinking about upgrading the nest because they also have a carbon dioxide/smoke detectors. I'm not sure of a good brand for video doorbells as well as physical security cameras. Window sensors as well as door sensors in motion to Tection. I would also like to find smart outlet and smart light switches. When I say smart outlet I mean the ones you literally mount inside the wall place of your normal outlet. Just for the cleaner work. I have looked into Yale deadbolts that are the multi inputs style. Where they work via Bluetooth Apple HomeKit touchpad or even physical key.

But it's some of those devices I don't know about are definitely the video camera system as well as a doorbell system since our house was never wired with a doorbell. So video doorbell system would be very nice. And then physical security cameras to mount a different points along the edge of a roof to watch things like windows and stuff. Also in case something ever happens where I fall in the driveway like I did that paralyze me six months ago. I've actually had three major surgeries because of this fall, so you can see why I'm trying to think ahead and still stay independent with the help of my Apple System Love.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Thanks in Advance:.
Lil Annabel (Legally: Alice P Arthington)
---- ------------- ----
Broken Arrow, OK 74014
United States

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Is the Matter-implementation to HomeKit still partial and hence the above challenges?
AFAIK, Matter is not yet implemented in the Home app and Homekit. Apple released a version of Home that started the implementation, then withdrew it when people had connectivity problems.

Reaction score
I find home kit rather delicate. Went to France for a couple of months and installed a local sim card. Sometimes it would work sometimes not. I have two homepods and two apple tv one with thread.
Example. I have a wemo switch that works with my phone. On my mac sometimes I can turn it on but not off. Sometimes it works just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I replaced my one Wemo switch with one from a different brand. The Wemo would not stay connected to my mesh Wifi and needed to be reconfigured about every 10 days. The new switch, from a company that used to be Meross, but which is now Refoss is working very well. Got it from Amazon.

I don't find Homekit "delicate" but I may be just lucky. I used to have an Insteon setup, but the automations would be wonky sometimes. Not all of the devices would react to the automation. Homekit pretty much works as it should. I have tested controlling from the Internet, and it works, but I've not yet tried controlling from overseas. I don't think it's the SIM card as much as it is whether or not the hub(s) are working. I did have one instance where lights did not turn off at the proper time and which didn't respond from my iPhone while I was in UK. The issue turned out, I think, to be that Apple pushed an update to my AppleTV that somehow mucked up the Homekit. I now have all of my hubs set NOT to automatically update. They seem to be more stable now. When Apple has an update, I do each one manually and monitor Homekit between each of them being updated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.