• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple History

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I'm looking for a book that would tell me abt. Apples early history, but would be fun to read (not text manual). Any good ones you guys/girls know off?

Reaction score
If you want an interesting movie on the start of Apple as well as Microsoft, look for "Pirates of Silicon Valley", it was a made for TV movie but it was released on VHS, but never on DVD.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
That's a great movie to start learning about what you would like to know, but as I was watching it a couple of years ago; I really didn't have much interest in computers or Apple, so I didn't watch it all the way through. So it is kind of vague in my mind at the moment. But I would say, it is a must see.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
rs2sensen said:
I'm looking for a book that would tell me abt. Apples early history, but would be fun to read (not text manual). Any good ones you guys/girls know off?

I also recomend "Pirates of Silicon Valley". In an interview with Steve Wozniac, he said it was quite accurate. From all the reading of books on the subject it seems very close.

I have an excellent book about the beginning of Apple and Jobs and Woz. I will find it and edit this message with the title later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I was given "Revolution in the Valley" by one of my clients who introduced me to Bruce Horn, (he created the Finder), so I had to email Bruce and tease him about it :)

Great book by the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Another good film to watch is a PBS documentary, Triumph of the Nerds

Its sorta like the un-dramatized version of Pirates of Silicon Valley in a way.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
D3v1L80Y said:
Another good film to watch is a PBS documentary, Triumph of the Nerds

Its sorta like the un-dramatized version of Pirates of Silicon Valley in a way.

Thanks for mentioning that. Forgot all about it. Very good documentary. No actors in it either. All the real people involved. Jobs, Woz, Gates, A lot of the Xerox Park people, Larry Ellison, ETC. Very good. I have both the movie and the book.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Thanks for all the help and keep it comming if you think of anything! Yea, I've been meaning to get a copy of Pirates of Silicon Valley, I, like iWhat, watched it when it was on TV, but it was really before my big interest in computers, and way before I got my first mac. I also enjoyed looking around Apple-History.com . When I get a chance, I'll take a look at some of the books that were mentioned and that PBS documentary. Thanks again!

They had two books at the local Barnes and Noble when I went yesterday, one was Cult of Mac which seemed kind of odd, and the other was something like "The Incredible Story of..." I don't remember exactly what it was called. I thought abt. getting that, but bought another photoshop book.

If you think of more, post it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.