Apple has a new costumer

A

arkman_1411

Hey, Well I was thinking about switching way back in december when I was going to upgrade my PC, but I didnt and I ended up going with a Dell laptop for 1600, since then I have put quite a bit into it and I feel really stupid because I am already having problems with it. I feel like I really should have gone with a mac. Well I had a discussion with my parents and we need to upgrade our desktop, I suggested getting a mac because I think its the best way to go. I am also going to be selling my Dell for 1400, and getting an ibook. My question is, I heard about a new update for the Apple OS called Tiger. We are going to get the desktop now, but I would rather save my 1400 and wait for the newest ibook with Tiger on it. I was figuring that would be around December or January, so I'd save that money until then. My question is what can I expect in a new ibook update, and how many might there be between now and January. Also when is Apple putting out its new OS? I would apprechiate answers to either of these questions, But as for now I am officially a switcher. :D

Thanks

Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
depends are you willing to wait. there's no plans for releaseing the new update till the first half of 2005... having said that Apple could put the date forward should they need more time for testing and stuff.

If you can wait till June 2005? Then do so.. other wise buy a mac when your ready. Apple's Mac only get better with time... so waiting could be worth your while.

OP
A

arkman_1411

How are you sure that it will be that late, also, no I probabally will not wait that long, my other question was if and how they will update the ibooks by December. I am hoping they will put in a 64 meg graphics card. If you could answer this or tell me where I can find the answer I would be very apprechiative

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
Yep, in WWDC thay said Tiger won't be released till 2005 at the earliest. Apart from what they say in the WWDC video, Apple never states what they plan to do next. They like the element of surprise, personally i don't blame them... keeps people like you on edge.

My tip, if a Macintosh computer is a essential tool for you, somthing work related and without it your gonna lose income, then buy now! Otherwise, if it's something you use to entertain oneself then maybe you should wait.

If it was me, I buy now! But i use mine for work.

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
June 2005? Tiger wont ship then, Apple said the first half of 2005. It will probably come out on Mac OS X's 5th birthday, March 24th.

OP
C

Cloudane

The upgrade will cost. But is it worth waiting until March 2005? It's up to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
Cloudane said:
The upgrade will cost. But is it worth waiting until March 2005? It's up to you.
Again, the March 2005 thing I mentioned is only my guess. It could be earlier/later.

OP
A

arkman_1411

My final question is this: As of now I have a wireless base station from Netgear for my cable modem and its been working really well, will my ibook and emac be able to connect to the internet through it via airport extreme?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, yes it will.

Reaction score
arkman_1411 said:
How are you sure that it will be that late, also, no I probabally will not wait that long, my other question was if and how they will update the ibooks by December. I am hoping they will put in a 64 meg graphics card. If you could answer this or tell me where I can find the answer I would be very apprechiative

They just updated the ibook with faster CPU

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They upgraded the iBooks in April, it is now July, almost August.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Tiger will have some G5-only 64bit improvements, but it'll work for G4 as well, maybe even G3(not sure about that though).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.