Apple hardware Test for Mac Pro 1,1

Reaction score
I bought this computer used. it didn't come with any disks so I don't have the Apple Hardware Test software. Can I download it or purchase it on disk?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that the only option I'm aware of is…to contact Apple (via phone) and ask them for an original set of discs that shipped with Mac Pro 1,1's. There may be a small charge.

I know that some folks have done this previously…but…considering how old this model is (8 years approx.)…Apple may no longer do this. Since about with the "Late 2011" model Mac's…Mac's no longer shipped with these disks.

Apple loves to "move forward"…and they may have discontinued any internal systems for handling these requests. But you never know…you may get lucky!

If you decide to pursue this…please let us know what Apple was able to do…so others with a similar request may benefit.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Long shot but try this. Go to the link, scroll down to Mac Pro and click on Mac Pro 1.1 and a 4.4MB .dmg file will be downloaded. Double click, and drag System folder to left hand pane of Disk Utility, pop in a CD and hit burn and you MAY have a bootable copy of AHT. Good Luck.

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

OP
N
Reaction score
Apple hardware test for Mac Pro 1,1

Harry, can't drag the system folder to Disk Utility. Also, when I double click the dmg it just mounts as an image. I was able to burn that but it cannot be used to start up from. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry was only a suggestion Nick.

Reaction score
Question:

I have a mac pro 1.1 what o.s was it running what is the problem you are having please more detail's would be nice and you can't boot from the downloadable version of hardware diagnostics you have to install it and run it.

There are ton's of mods you can do to that model of mac pro including speed boosting the machine so exactly what are you trying to do??

Reaction score
Also on another note:

Even if you have the original disk's for that machine there is no guarantee they will boot.

See apple went to two different graphics card upgrades for this machine two are only supported in mac os x 10.5 and mac os x 10.6 and will not run on 10.4 the original stock o.s for this machine.

If you try the machine will crash and reboot thats it.

One of the graphics cards is the Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT (512meg) Graphics cards. It requires a special driver that tiger doesn't have and a graphics card update for leopard 10.5 to work right.

OP
N
Reaction score
Apple Hardware Test for Mac Pro 1,1

Thanks for your responses. The problem that I am having is browser and finder freezes which forces me to force quit the computer by pressing the power button. I have done several clean installs of the OS, used Disk Utility and Disk Warrior numerous times. The computer will work normally for days and then the problem starts up again and I have to force shut down over and over again. Then it stabilizes for awhile only to start the freezing process all over again. It is not a disk problem because two different disks with the OS on them have the same problem. I am running 10.6.8 because I have software that will not run on later OS. I don't think that it is a RAM problem because I have removed RAM modules (two at a time; there are six), restarting with various combinations of the modules and the problem persists. It is as if the machine has some underlying weakness in some hardware component that is on the edge of failure but still works sometime, most of the time or hardly at all. I have never had this problem with many Macs I have owned through the years. I still have a PowerMac that works just fine but is too slow for what I need to do, process scanned photographs, not to mention that browsers no longer work with Panther. This is why I wanted to run AHT, as a last resort to abandoning this machine which is a big upgrade to the PowerMac.

OP
N
Reaction score
Here is another wrinkle to this issue. If I boot in safe mode (safe boot), the problem goes away. I guess that means it is a software issue. Suspects include Adobe Flash Player and MacKeeper which I started using recently. In Safe Mode, I can't play video in Firefox, but I really don't care about that. I just want the computer to stop freezing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh Mackeeper!

Use the uninstaller and that is where your problems lay. Do a search of the forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Aaaaagggghhhh!!! The *&%&%# Mackeeper raises it's ugly head again, and thank gosh the OP finally actually and finally mentioned it in post #9!!

I was about to post about using Safe Boot Mode and also possibly a heat or failing hard drive but I think the main culprit has been unearthed. ;)

Now to get rid of all of its bits and pieces.

Besides using its uninstaller, download Find Any File and use it for any file or folder that contains the name zeobit and mackeeper and Trash them and empty the Trash and reboot.

Get Find Any File here:
Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.