apple fault?

Reaction score
Has anyone had any problems with apple, yesterday I thought my internet connection had failed only to find that after contacting virgin media they informed me that there was no problem from their end and suggested I contact apple, as I couldn't get on the internet I decided to try starting my mac in safe mode which worked so I shut down my mac and restarted and now everything seems to be working ok?. I have noticed my mac has slowed down (not significantly) since upgrading to big sur.

Reaction score
Did you upgrade from High Sierra or earlier to Big Sur, and does your Mac have an internal rotating disk hard drive? Starting with Mojave the Mac OS non-optionally reformats your internal hard drive to APFS format. APFS is optimized for SSD's, but it tends to slow down the performance of rotating disk hard drives.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yes my hard drive is a rotating one, upgraded from Catalina. My hard drive is only about 20/25% full and is a 1tb

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Randy suggests with a slow 5400rpm drive, do not use Big Sur or Catalina as they are designed to run on SSDs and your performance will not be great. Perhaps you might consider an SSD run externally, depending on your Mac model which you have not supplied.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As Randy pointed out above, from macOS version Mojave on, internal drives are formatted to APFS. This new format is specifically optimized for SSDs and has been known to slow down ordinary spinner type drives. Not much you can do about that.

As to the problem with your internet connection, that could be caused by many things. I don't know why you would think Apple had anything to do with it? Your internet connection is controlled by your ISP and if there were no hardware problems on your end (router, modem, etc) then it was likely a temporary glitch.

OP
R
Reaction score
As I have stated there was no problem with my modem or any problems with my ISP provider, I have been in touch with virgin media and they informed me that there had been no problems with my conection, this problem only started after I got a message scrolling across my screen informing me that my screen saver would no longer work on my mac, and this is when the boot-up failed. Before all this happened my mac was running ok on Big Sur. Mac retina 21inch 2017, 3ghz quad-core intel core i5, 8gb 2400 mhz ddr4,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
As I have stated there was no problem with my modem or any problems with my ISP provider, I have been in touch with virgin media and they informed me that there had been no problems with my conection, this problem only started after I got a message scrolling across my screen informing me that my screen saver would no longer work on my mac, and this is when the boot-up failed.
New news in that statement. 1) It started with a screen saver and 2) you have boot issues. Nothing about either of those in the original posts or the follow ups. It's hard for folks to help when we don't have all the information.

So, what screen saver are you trying to use? What are the boot issues you are seeing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
And the boot issues?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.