• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple ditching the "G" Trademark?

OP
K

Kokopelli

Amen-Moses which P-Series is it? From your original description I would have guessed it to be one of the behemoth I-Series. I did not know any Ps got that big.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Kokopelli said:
Amen-Moses which P-Series is it? From your original description I would have guessed it to be one of the behemoth I-Series. I did not know any Ps got that big.

I haven't a clue, it maybe a special build, i.e the I case with the P innards or something. We tend to have a lot of custom stuff like that.

Amen-Moses

OP
I

iDVFH.

mayve there gonna rename all their computers instead of just changing a part of the name..lol..the names cant get much better but their creative..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Amen-Moses said:
The funniest thing in my book is that the next X-box iteration will go head-to-head with the PS3 and they will both basically be IBM powered! (the PS3 will be Cell powered and the new X-box is supposed to have a PPC derivative driving it)

The thing I find interesting about this proposition is that it means that there will be a serious backward compatibility problem (basically, there won't BE any backward compatibility unless they have a dual processor design) because of the switch from x86 to PPC.

OP
F

forbin

Guys .. Sounds like these came from the April 1st edition of TidBITS .. I hate to burst any bubbles, but it was the April 1st edition .. Hope you all had a good laugh ;-)

OP
I

iDVFH.

As it may have been an April 1st edition, realistically they might have to change the name.

OP
J

JsnSA

Hey guys...first post here.

Just speculating, but if they did indeed jump to GX or something X...maybe it would be because they are going Dual Core.

You know...two 5s make 10.

There are rumors that they will go dual core sometime in the future so jumping from 5 to X could make sense in that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
GX seems really odd to me... I hope they come up with something better than that... I just can't see using it in a sentance... "Check out my new apple computer with a Power-GX processor"...... nah... no good. Sounds like an anti-depressant.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Meyvn said:
The thing I find interesting about this proposition is that it means that there will be a serious backward compatibility problem (basically, there won't BE any backward compatibility unless they have a dual processor design) because of the switch from x86 to PPC.

Both designs will use emulation of the old platform to get backward compatibility although it is an issue that has never really bothered Microsoft that much in the past. ;)

If the new Xbox does end up being PPC core powered then it does have an interesting side effect for the Apple community, namely that it will mean that a PPC version of DirectX will have to be written!

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.