• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple confirms LED displays in Macs during 2007

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/05/02/apple-confirms-led-displays-in-macs-during-2007/

Can I be the first to say...w00t!

Arsenic and mercury are industry standard materials used in liquid crystal displays (LCDs). Arsenic is added during the manufacturing of the high performance glass used in LCDs to prevent the formation of defects, and the fluorescent lamps used to illuminate LCDs contain minute amounts of mercury. Apple is on track to introduce our first displays using arsenic-free glass in 2007. A small number of high performance integrated circuits (ICs) will continue to contain a minute amount of arsenic as an element of the semiconductor substrate.

To eliminate mercury in our displays, we need to transition from fluorescent lamps to light-emitting diodes (LEDs) to illuminate the displays. Fortunately, all iPod displays already use LEDs for illumination, and therefore contain no mercury. We plan to introduce our first Macs with LED backlight technology in 2007. Our ability to completely eliminate fluorescent lamps in all of our displays depends on how fast the LCD industry can transition to LED backlighting for larger displays.

Apple plans to completely eliminate the use of arsenic in all of its displays by the end of 2008.

Apple plans to reduce and eventually eliminate the use of mercury by transitioning to LED backlighting for all displays when technically and economically feasible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
Perhaps new cinema displays... (hope!)

Or iMacs.
Or MacBook Pros.
Or MacBooks.
Etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
yeah i read this article, sounds good.

But, are LED displays superior? In what ways?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
can somebody explain the difference between LCD and LED? i know what they stand for...but will impact will the swtich on the look, feel, and functionality of apple's products?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
can somebody explain the difference between LCD and LED? i know what they stand for...but will impact will the swtich on the look, feel, and functionality of apple's products?

They will still be LCD displays, but with LED backlights. The current LCD's use a form of fluorescent lighting. Best thing about LED's is more than double the lifespan of these fluorescent lights. They're also capable of much higher contrast ratio's, brighter colors, deeper blacks, whiter whites... all around a better quality and more reliable improvement over the current displays.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
They will still be LCD displays, but with LED backlights. The current LCD's use a form of fluorescent lighting. Best thing about LED's is more than double the lifespan of these fluorescent lights. They're also capable of much higher contrast ratio's, brighter colors, deeper blacks, whiter whites... all around a better quality and more reliable improvement over the current displays.

ok thanks...so i guess thats a good thing...is it likely for apple to raise/lower their prices because of this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
ok thanks...so i guess thats a good thing...is it likely for apple to raise/lower their prices because of this?

It is definitely a much more expensive technology. It's pretty common in a lot of smaller tech devices. Like it says in the article the Ipod... but also the PSP, I think a few PDA's. Also, if you look into high-end flashlights almost all of them use Cree and XRE brand LED's (yes, flashlights can be another expensive hobby). These flashlights also have considerably longer run times with much less battery consumption. Problem is it's still not that mainstream in larger applications like TV's and computer monitors. I only know of a few higher end pc laptops that use LED's (Sony's T series for example).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone

very nice! sounds fabulous.
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
Anyone think this will be released on WWDC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

LED backlights will hopefully be more consistent, also cooler.

Reaction score
It is definitely a much more expensive technology. It's pretty common in a lot of smaller tech devices. Like it says in the article the Ipod... but also the PSP, I think a few PDA's. Also, if you look into high-end flashlights almost all of them use Cree and XRE brand LED's (yes, flashlights can be another expensive hobby). These flashlights also have considerably longer run times with much less battery consumption. Problem is it's still not that mainstream in larger applications like TV's and computer monitors. I only know of a few higher end pc laptops that use LED's (Sony's T series for example).

Does this mean lower likelihood of dead pixels? Or is that not connected?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone

mmm don't quote me on this, but I think the screen's are still LCD they are just lit differently... In my head a dead pixel isn't a lighting issue. but what do i know? im just making an educated guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.

Nope, the pixels are on the etched glass which the backlight shines through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
That's awesome. Another plus side is that LED's use much less energy than even flourescent bulbs/lighting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"
I was under the impression that these will be cheaper than the others. Or am I thinking of another technology for LCD's?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
I was under the impression that these will be cheaper than the others. Or am I thinking of another technology for LCD's?

Definitely something else. DLP? That's the only more economical one I know... but that's rear projection... much bigger applications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.