Apple Carplay

Reaction score
I have a late model car and an Iphone 12 Pro max and apple car play keeps failing.
I have removed and re installed the car from the phone via settings but no success...Any one able to assist

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
What does "keeps failing" mean, exactly? Fails how? Fails to connect? Fails to play? Hard to fix "it doesn't work" without more information.

Also, what car, what system? BT, which is the connection for CarPlay, is really dodgy in some (many) cars and is the number one cause of issues.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What does "keeps failing" mean, exactly? Fails how? Fails to connect? Fails to play? Hard to fix "it doesn't work" without more information.

Also, what car, what system? BT, which is the connection for CarPlay, is really dodgy in some (many) cars and is the number one cause of issues.
CarPlay is all wired and not wireless through BT or otherwise. I believe there are a number of 3rd party solutions that allows you to go wireless, but a late model car doesn't have that.

My SUV has CarPlay support and in 95% of the cases it works when I plug my iPhone in. Once in a while I get a message indicating "The USB connection has failed, disconnect and reconnect.." or something to that effect. However, disconnecting and reconnecting doesn't do anything and CarPlay will not work for that entire duration.

The next time I turn off the car and turn it back on, it almost always works.

If re-connecting the phone freshly doesn't make the connection reliable, you're unfortunately just dealing with the early instance of CarPlay in cars that might be buggy.

Realize that based on your cars age, the electronics in there are usually 3-5 years older.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
CarPlay is all wired and not wireless through BT or otherwise. I believe there are a number of 3rd party solutions that allows you to go wireless, but a late model car doesn't have that.
Not according to Apple (I added the emphasis):

Set up CarPlay​

1. Start your car, then make sure that Siri is on.
  2. Connect your iPhone to your car:
    • If your car supports CarPlay with a USB cable, plug your iPhone into the USB port in your car. The USB port might be labeled with a CarPlay icon or a smartphone icon. Be sure to use an Apple Lightning to USB cable.
    • If your car supports CarPlay both wirelessly and with a USB cable, plug your iPhone into the USB port in your car. An alert on your iPhone will offer to connect you wirelessly on your next drives.
    • If your car supports only wireless CarPlay, press and hold the voice command button on your steering wheel. Make sure that your stereo is in wireless or Bluetooth mode. Then on your iPhone, go to Settings > Wi-Fi, and make sure that Wi-Fi is also turned on. Tap the CarPlay network, and check that Auto-Join is turned on. Then, go to Settings > General > CarPlay, and select your car. Check your car manual for more information.
I works either through USB alone, USB and wirelessly, or wireless only.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I think it's very recent cars that have wireless CarPlay. Like the 2020 onward or so..anything earlier is wired.

My 2017 Land Rover only supports wired.

It does have BT for phone and audio, but no CarPlay over it.

If the OP's car does have wireless CarPlay, then going wired might fix things. If that doesn't work, not sure there's much we can do.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think it's very recent cars that have wireless CarPlay. Like the 2020 onward or so..anything earlier is wired.

My 2017 Land Rover only supports wired.

It does have BT for phone and audio, but no CarPlay over it.
I think you're right. Our 2019 Subaru does not do wireless CarPlay but I think there were some models starting in 2018 that had this feature (higher-end models out of our budget of course).

There are third-party modules that claim to add wireless CarPlay capability by plugging a transceiver into the USB ports used for wired CarPlay. I haven't tried them yet but they can be found on Amazon for under $100.00 in most cases.

Choose carefully. I think some of these devices are more full-featured than others. Not likely to help the OP's problem but might be of interest to others reading the thread

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
My 2019 rav4 is wired only as well. Must be a really recent thing

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.