App Store: "There is not enough disk space available to install the product."

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What Jake mentioned above about Time Machine snapshots not taking up too much space is somewhat true since TM operates differently than other backup programs. However, CCC snapshots are large and will quickly accumulate over time if you leave them turned on.

To answer the other question about the Time Machine snapshots taking up space - note what Mike wrote above:
("Local snapshots as space permits")
I don't know off hand how Time Machine determines "space permits"?

I do not leave Time Machine running and remove the drive when it's not in use. I realize that for some that might cause one to forget to make backups. Probably not recommended for most folks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Charlie, in the article I linked, Apple says this:
Your Mac counts the space used by snapshots as available storage. Even so, Time Machine stores snapshots only on disks that have plenty of free space, and it automatically deletes snapshots as they age or as space is needed for other things.
Now, how well that works may be subject to some discussion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That makes more sense. (the article you quoted) It would be reasonable to assume that the system "sees" the Time Machine snapshots as purgeable space and counts it as space available. I don't remember off hand if I calculated the remaining space both with snapshots left intact or when they were removed. I'll have to experiment to see how well that works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.