App Store Stuck at “Checking for Updates”

Reaction score
About my Mac:
OSX Yosemite 10.10.2
Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
==

When I open the App Store to download updates, it shows the following two are available:
1) Itunes 12.1.2
2) Textual 5

When I click “update” for either, a message “checking for updates” appears in the top left-hand corner. I’m not able to switch between windows within the App Store, and it basically seems to be frozen.

I have tried all of the troubleshooting steps at http://www.cnet.com/news/tackle-a-hung-app-store-update-in-os-x/ , and have also tried restarting in safe mode but was still unable to get the updates to start. Does anyone have ideas on what else I could try?

Thank you in advance for the assist.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you click on updates, you first should be notified that Yosemite 10.10.3 is available and requires a reboot of the system to install. Are you seeing that at all?

Reaction score
I've installed Yosemite 10.10.3 but it requires a restart. Problem is that the app store is stuck on "Checking for updates..." and I can't press the "Restart" button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One question. Your Air originally came with Mavericks. Did you do the update to Yosemite yourself on your Apple ID account?

Reaction score
I've restarted using that method. Interestingly, installed combo update for Yosemite 10.10.3 but it got stuck at the stage where it was going to ask to restart... Completed the instal but wouldn't promo for a restart. Will let you guys/girls know whether manual instal solved or not in few hours.

Reaction score
It seems the combo update is stuck on "Preparing OS X Update Combined" (the blue bar is complete).

Reaction score
Unfortunately, none of that worked previously. Trying to re-install the OS - first attempt failed... Trying again. Will keep you in loop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Again how did Yosemite get on the machine. You or someone else?

Reaction score
Me. Have the iMac for few years now (2 at least). Upgrade for 10.10.3 came through Apple Store - tried installing the update and here I am :)

Computer did start to lag too. Probably related to it being unable to restart to complete time installation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Boot into Recovery when you get the iMac started, hold down Command and R keys immediately after the chime, go to Utilities in the Menu Bar and run Repair Disk to check the health of the hard drive. I know you said you checked Perrmissions, but try the Repair Disk. AN update will not install onto a drive with problems.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, when leaving for work I've just launched the reinstall of the OS. Didn't know about the Repair Disk feature in there — thank you. Hopefully won't have to use it anytime soon.

The reinstallation of the OS worked and now I am finally running Yosemite 10.10.3 :)

Reaction score
Props to harryb2448. I faced the same issue as akatyk reported on 18-Apr-2015 03:07 PM and had tried the same initial trouble-shooting steps. What got things freed-up and working again was Repair Disk in Recovery Mode. Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My pleasure Hiper. Keep coming back lots of good info here!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.