App Store - been there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Just wondering if there are any others frequenting this forum who has never used the App Store. Since upgrading to Snow Leopard about 9 months ago, I've still never "gone to" the App Store. I did leave the icon in my Dock, just so I'd know where the Store is "located". ;)

Now, since there are likely to be few, if any, who haven't used the App Store, I'm also inviting those who have to chime in with words of wisdom.

On another note, upgrading to a new Mac that does not come with the OS on a physical disc is going to be an eye-opening experience for me when that day comes.

Reaction score
Just don't forget to make a copy of the downloaded upgrade before you install it.
That way you only have to do it once.

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the advice. But if you buy a new Mac, the OS is already installed. What do you get for an emergency copy of the OS?

(I knew I shouldn't have introduced a second topic in the same thread!)

Reaction score
You can download it. The point is, only doing it ONCE. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for the advice. But if you buy a new Mac, the OS is already installed. What do you get for an emergency copy of the OS?

With 10.7, 10.8, or 10.9 (after downloading the installer from the Mac App Store) you make your own bootable USB installer.

Technically this is only needed if the computers storage (HD or SSD)…is totally replaced with a new unit. Otherwise…an HD or SSD with 10.7, 10.8, or 10.9 on it…you boot to the Recovery Partition…and worst case scenario…you can do Internet Recovery.

We still have to wait & see if with Yosemite (OS 10.10)…if a bootable USB is possible or not.

- Nick

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I knew I shouldn't have introduced a second topic in the same thread!

So, back to the main topic...

Has anyone else never used the App Store?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
On another note, upgrading to a new Mac that does not come with the OS on a physical disc is going to be an eye-opening experience for me when that day comes.

It's not only Apple that no longer supplies disks with a new machine, virtually every OEM does the same thing. It used to be that Dell supplied a full set of disks with their new PCs but I understand that even they have stopped the practice.

And to answer your question about never going to the App Store; you're probably not going to find many folks who use our forums that haven't been there. How come you've never gone there now that you are "more up to date" than before?

OP
toMACsh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't need to buy anything, and I'm not a "window shopper" in the old sense of the term.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.