App Store Badge shows updates available...

M

MacInWin

But when I go to the update page, everything is updated. I did a quick search on the internet, found the error mentioned, but no fix or workaround. The only think I've been able to do is to watch the updates page as the app store app opens to catch the quick "update" flash before it changes to "open" and then delete that app and reinstall. Somehow that feels like a sledgehammer to kill a fly. Surely there must be SOME fix. I tried to post hat the Apple bug fix site, but I'm not a developer, so I couldn't get in.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wish there were a fix Jake. I keep getting nagged about updating my iWork apps - Pages, Keynote, and Numbers. I've actually gone thru the motions of attempting to update them only to be told they're up to date! I finally gave up and am just ignoring them.

OP
C

chas_m

1. Are you signed into the App Store?
2. Are you signed into the RIGHT ACCOUNT on the App Store?
3. Did you buy this machine used (maybe it's wanting the original owner's account?)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The iWork apps were free when I purchased my 2013 iMac new. The only thing I can think of is when I purchased the 2013 iMac I still had my 2011 iMac. I also installed the iWork apps on the 2011 model which I shortly after gave to my college going grand daughter. However, she has her own Apple ID and account.

OP
M

MacInWin

chas_m, the answers are Yes, Yes and No. It's my iPhone, bought new, and the badges worked fine until IOS8. No changes to my Apple ID account, either. The Apple forums are full of people complaining about this "feature", but no work arounds. There are two ways of getting the badge right again that I have gotten to work: 1) delete and reinstall the apps, as I described earlier and 2) launch the App Store app and try to tap on the first app in the list before the "Update" changes to "Open." I was successful at that once, and the apps all downloaded and reinstalled, at which time the badge was reset. I think it has something to do with iTunes updates not getting registered with the App Store app, so if I update through iTunes the badge falls out of sync. But I can't lodge a bug with Apple because I'm not a developer, so I was hoping someone had a better work around.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.