Aperture 3 : and iMovie...

Reaction score
Hello all,

As many of interested people, I just downloaded Aperture 3 demo. I must say that I never used Aperture, nor had it been installed.

What I have just accomplished lately was the DVD of my vacations (I switched a little more than a month ago)... I was quite happy with it, the result is very nice and clean... How did I did it ? Simple : Import my files to iPhoto, and used iMovie to create the cuts in the videos, adding some pictures in it to be displayed as a slide show, to cut the rythm of my personal movie.

Now that I discover Aperture 3, I found it great to be able to tweak my pictures, enhancing them before I start working in iMovie...

I must also say that I'm no professional at all... I like nice pictures, and I like shooting what I see... I'm just a pure amateur... So, no offense beeing made, I don't think more powerful that iMovie would suit me (like final cut). I'm ok with iMovie, so let's stick with it.

So, I went for a test with Aperture 3. Imported files from my iPhoto collection (just copied the files, just in case Aperture doesn't give me what I want). It's a small collection of 600 pictures, took during my last vacation.

Importing was very right and easy. I tried some improvements, but I need to learn though that software, because I doesn't work as the videos showed me, but that's still ok...

When I wanted to check out if it was working with iMovie 09, I was a little disappointed... iMovie sees my movies I had imported at the same time (my daughter shot a few stuff with our camera, instead of taking pictures). So, iMovie sees the movies. But when I click on the camera icon, to get to my pictures folder, or to link to Aperture, I only get iPhoto...

Is that normal ? Is there a way to get Aperture 3 photos into iMovie, or do i need to switch back and forth from iPhoto to Aperture to iPhoto to be able to put them together when I make an iMovie project ?

Do you have any solution ?

Thanks for your answers,

Vampyre

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MBP 13"
I would really love to find the answer to this before making the purchase of Aperture 3. What I notice with iMovie is that it doesn't even pick up the videos that are in iPhoto and they are videos from my regular digital camera and videos from my iphone.

I have no problems with exporting videos from my real hand held video camera. I'd just like to do the same thing from movies that were created with my regular digital camera and my iphone videos from iPhoto to iMovie.

OP
V
Reaction score
I'm sorry

Hello again,

I'm sorry, I should have posted the solution I found... But I forgot this thread... Sorry about that...

Anyway, that's kind of strange that your movies are not imported into iMovies... iMovies take all my videos from my digital camera from iPhoto into iMovies... I couldn't tell you about iphone videos, I don't own one (yet)...

To answer my question, I finally managed to get the pictures from iPhoto into Aperture 3 with no problem... I desinstalled, and simply reinstalled... At the end of it, it started to update, and all iLife software were updated, or patched, i don't know. Now, I have a very nice link to Aperture's content in all application of iLife or iWork... I can thus easily use my picture from aperture into iMovies...

For me it's problem solved.

I wish I could answer you more constantly, but unfortunately I don't have the answer you are looking for...

Hope you find a solution though !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MBP 13"
Hello again,

I'm sorry, I should have posted the solution I found... But I forgot this thread... Sorry about that...

Anyway, that's kind of strange that your movies are not imported into iMovies... iMovies take all my videos from my digital camera from iPhoto into iMovies... I couldn't tell you about iphone videos, I don't own one (yet)...

To answer my question, I finally managed to get the pictures from iPhoto into Aperture 3 with no problem... I desinstalled, and simply reinstalled... At the end of it, it started to update, and all iLife software were updated, or patched, i don't know. Now, I have a very nice link to Aperture's content in all application of iLife or iWork... I can thus easily use my picture from aperture into iMovies...

For me it's problem solved.

I wish I could answer you more constantly, but unfortunately I don't have the answer you are looking for...

Hope you find a solution though !

Thanks for your response. I guess I'll have to keep on asking around. I have other movies (non-iPhone) that do not import over to iMovie either, or maybe I just don't know how. :(

Reaction score
Seeing Aperture pics/movies in iMovie

Try the following:

1. Open Aperture.
2. Open Aperture Preferences.
3. Click on the Preview tab.
4. In the "Share Previews with iLife and iWork" dropdown, select Always.

Your photos/Aperture-related media should appear in iMovie if you press Command+2 (or whatever hotkey you have that enables the "show/hide Photos browser".

To get Aperture to show up in the Event Library, quit and reopen Aperture. Be sure to let iMovie generate thumbnails from the Aperture library scan by clicking "Now".

------

Alternatively, you can always go to the movie in Aperture, right-click it, and select "Edit with iMovie" directly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.