Anything world shaking about Yosemite?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
I am rarely impressed by the next OS & often I lose an old application that I like to the new OS. (1.) Is there anything great about Yosemite that we can't live without? I read Apple's blurb & nothing great jumped out at me! I'm back on 10.6.8, so am I missing something great? (2.) I got an email about a free download of Yosemite, but yet it seems Apple is selling the upgrade???? What am I missing about a "free download"?

OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since Yosemite was released…we've had quite a few threads about it. Here is one I would suggest reading (below)…and check the "OS X Operating System" area for more::)

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...s-yosemite-installed-whats-your-thoughts.html

- Nick

Thanx Nick - I read the thread.

My old Macbook 5,2 2.13 GHz Intel core 2 Duo says there is no software upgrade for it when I click on Software Update??????? I'm too old... but is my MacBook 5,2 old too for the new OS?

C

chas_m

My old Macbook 5,2 2.13 GHz Intel core 2 Duo says there is no software upgrade for it when I click on Software Update??????? I'm too old... but is my MacBook 5,2 old too for the new OS?

No, but you'd really, really want to max out the RAM before installing it.

I don't know why the Mac App Store isn't telling you that you could upgrade to Yosemite for free, but your Mac is eligible. Maybe you're using the old Software Upgrade which was separate from the MAS and thus wouldn't tell you.

As you've missed out on four major upgrades of OS X, there is simply not time in the day to explain to you all the things that you've missed. I don't know your definition of "world-shattering" but being able to answer calls on my Mac via relay from my iPhone elsewhere in the house is a pretty big deal that's made a nice difference around here. There are pages and pages of other features from across the various releases, but maybe reading about them is less impressive than when they are part of your daily routine and you wonder how you functioned without them.

Jumping from so far back is bound to cause some teething issues at first, necessary program upgrades and that sort of thing, but as far as I'm concerned its definitely worth it. My 2012 MBP can now run for the better part of a workday on the battery, particularly if I keep the screen dim (which is easy to do in the sort of dimly-lit watering holes I tend to hang out in!). To me, that's amazing -- and a huge productivity boost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Your MacBook will run everything up to and including Yosemite OS X.10. Your problem may be you have to have Snow Leopard OS X.6.8 installed to access the App Store. The icon appears in the Dock. That is where upgrades come from not software update. Should you still be running Leopard OS X.5 that came with the machine, purchase a Snow Lepoard OS X.6 DVD from Apple Online for $20 including postage. Upgrade to OS X.6.8 and go from there.

Also your MacBook will run up to 6GB of memory so if the old standard 2GB is installed, increase before moving up to Mavericls OS X.9 or Yosemite OS X.10.

And Mr. D. as you are six updates behind, everything will be world shaking compared to Leopard!

Last edited:
OP
Mr. D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your MacBook will run everything up to and including Yosemite OS X.10. Your problem may be you have to have Snow Leopard OS X.6.8 installed to access the App Store. The icon appears in the Dock. That is where upgrades come from not software update. Should you still be running Leopard OS X.5 that came with the machine, purchase a Snow Lepoard OS X.6 DVD from Apple Online for $20 including postage. Upgrade to OS X.6.8 and go from there.

Also your MacBook will run up to 6GB of memory so if the old standard 2GB is installed, increase before moving up to Mavericls OS X.9 or Yosemite OS X.10.

And Mr. D. as you are six updates behind, everything will be world shaking compared to Leopard!

Yikes! I am using 10.6.8 now! Is that five updates behind? Time flies when you aren't paying attention! Maybe I have Dinosaur 10.6.8! Since I retired I don't keep up with my Macs as much as when I was teaching!

I've read what I could find & there is very little specifics about what is new or more importantly improved about Yosemite! Does Yosemite have a waterfall screen saver? Now days you have to take a bus from a parking lot to get to Yosemite so as to reduce pollution! (Smile)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.