• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone have guns?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S, MacPro 3.3 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon /6GB RAM OSX 10.8.2, 27" display,i AirPort Extreme

I've got Colts (mistakes!), Kimbers, S&Ws, Walthers, Berretas, Rugers, and some other weird things as far as handguns go. I used to get oddball stuff just because my dealer was good at getting stuff in at discount prices. I knew the time would come when things would get expensive and/or hard to get...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Prices and demand are going to be high, and supply will seem low for a while. Supply output and distribution has actually increased, it's just that everyone is buying everything. My UPS guy told me they run a dedicated truck now just delivering internet ammo orders due to weight and volume. Remember the "good old days" when 5.56mm was 30 cents a round and you could get a 1000rd case delivered to your door for less than $300?
One upside from the craziness is that NRA life memberships are $300 right now (down from $1000) which gets you pretty cheap firearms theft/fire insurance for life.
On a lighter note, apparently there is Federal legislation floating around where you can get a once a year $1000 tax credit for turning in a so-called assault rifle. I picked up 3 AR lowers for about $1000 in ammo (that I originally paid about $300 for back in October), and plan to turn them into $3000 in tax credits over then next 4 years. Not a bad unintended consequence.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
This buying craze has put my hobby on hold since prices have gone up substantially the plus side its good for the economy the down side it puts certain guns out of my budget.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Somehow all my images on imageshack were wiped. Had to upload everything all over again. Then I realized some of my images were permanently lost, and my last post is now messed up.

Good time to update though.

Before:
dsc00016zh.jpg

dsc00017hh.jpg

After: Installed NightHawk commander full guide rod. Caspian Trik trigger. Wolff 18lb recoil spring with matching firing pin spring. Brushed and polished various parts to my liking. This C3 is unbelievably accurate!

dsc00051gs.jpg

dsc00046vi.jpg

dsc00041cr.jpg

dsc00032xw.jpg

dsc00034sfq.jpg

dsc00038ho.jpg

I love it:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iggybar that thing is a work of art especially like the wooden grips with I believe Crimsom Trace laser.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
iggybar that thing is a work of art especially like the wooden grips with I believe Crimsom Trace laser.

Thanks, and yes, those are Crimson Trace grips. The original ones were defective, and Sig helped me out with a new set. Sig has amazing customer service! You actually can tell the difference between the two sets of Crimson Trace grips from the before and after pictures by the grain pattern.

I did all the work myself with the fitting. The Trigger was easy and straightforward, with sanding and polishing so it slides smoothly. On the other hand, the guide rod was one tough blahhhh. It was about 1/8 too long for the barrel bushing to clear it, so I had to trim it. I literally had to lean on the bench grinder because it was so strong! I thought it was a problem with my grinding stone when it was barely making a dent in it, so I tested a scrap piece of metal. I made the mistake of using the same amount of effort and leaned into it. It gobbled it up like it was butter. This NightHawk guide rod uses some high-grade titanium! It wasn't even advertised as such. I took it to my father work where they have better heavy-duty tools that are better suited for milling titanium. Got the job done. Slide racks back as if it's rolling on bearings now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Well I have to say that that is a beauty!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S, MacPro 3.3 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon /6GB RAM OSX 10.8.2, 27" display,i AirPort Extreme
Beautiful gun Iggy. Had a chance to visit the Sigg plant in NH years ago while taking one of the LFI courses. Beautiful place and well run. BTW my last 5.56 cost me $149 for 900 rds and came in the typical OD green metal ammo can. My last 7.62 x 39mm came in the old Soviet brown metal cans (for burial). The Soviets knew they were supplying guerrillas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
My last 7.62 x 39mm came in the old Soviet brown metal cans (for burial). The Soviets knew they were supplying guerrillas.

"When you think it's time to bury your guns, it's probably time to dig them up”
;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Timing is everything XJ, but you may be right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I actually enjoy this thread. For that reason, I leave all the political/law gun talk to other forums. That stuff quickly gets out of hand. Just share what we have and enjoy the pics:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I actually enjoy this thread. For that reason, I leave all the political/law gun talk to other forums. That stuff quickly gets out of hand. Just share what we have and enjoy the pics:)

Agreed - I would like to keep this thread open, and veering down that path will certainly have the opposite effect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is that your "carry pistol" Iggy? If so, let's see the holster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree totally; what sparked my response was what I read (maybe incorrectly) as surprise that it had so far not been neccessary to use the concealed weapon for self defense.

Again, I blame the media for fueling an expectation of imminent danger from a thousand sources (from drinking water to meteors falling on your head).

Be prudent, be prepared, but most of us (I hope and believe) will never actually need that insurance.

Sorry I'm re-reading the thread here so bear with me. I must note that I've had occasions to unholster and use my carry pistol. The first time was in Detroit almost 40 years ago. My neighbor's apartment was broken into and I drew my pistol to prevent her rape. No shots fired. No report filled out. The guy was arrested and back on the street the next day. I have carried firearms for most of the years since. There is no predicting when and where trouble will pop up. I carry my gun like I carry my wallet with the thought that I'm carrying a potential cobra in my holster that if carelessly handled could harm me or a bystander. I never want to become so complacent that I forget that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed - I would like to keep this thread open, and veering down that path will certainly have the opposite effect.

Sorry. I have re-read the entire thread and appreciate the fact that you've managed to keep it going considering some of the replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
The 1911 is my favorite hand gun. But it to darn big to carry on a daily bases. And please don't tell me a .25ACP or a .32ACP nor a .380 ACP won't do the job needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 1911 is my favorite hand gun. But it to darn big to carry on a daily bases. And please don't tell me a .25ACP or a .32ACP nor a .380 ACP won't do the job needed.
The 380 must be affective since a lot of police officers use this as a backup the Kahr comes to mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never used a .25. Basically the ammo is underpowered. .32 is not much better. The .380 is OK. I've carried my Mustang and/or my PPK/S .380s when weather or wardrobe dictated it was that or go unarmed. It really IS about shot placement though. My preference is a steel framed .45 pistol. I like my Kimber. it's reliable and never let me down. I don't like "combat tupperware". Personal preference and no slight to those that find that category of firearm meets your needs. What a terribly boring world it would be if we all liked the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
"When you think it's time to bury your guns, it's probably time to dig them up”
;)
I own stocks in the PVC tubing industry:D

Never used a .25. Basically the ammo is underpowered. .32 is not much better. The .380 is OK. I've carried my Mustang and/or my PPK/S .380s when weather or wardrobe dictated it was that or go unarmed. It really IS about shot placement though. My preference is a steel framed .45 pistol. I like my Kimber. it's reliable and never let me down. I don't like "combat tupperware". Personal preference and no slight to those that find that category of firearm meets your needs. What a terribly boring world it would be if we all liked the same thing.

I like my Kimber too. It's a Custom II with lots of upgrades(external and internal). Have 1600 rounds through it and it has only had one FTF with a random Remington bullet that just did not want to get fired. It is very picky with ammo, which I don't like. It prefers Sallier & Bellot ammo, which is hard to find. With the S&B ammo, I can easily manage 2" groupings at 10 yards.

With that said, my Sig C3 chews and spits out everything I put through it, and is incredibly accurate with all ammo at 17 yard. Both my Sig 1911's were very good. I too prefer the heavy handguns. I've always been a sucker for steel handguns. I've been practicing a lot lately with 9mm Glocks, Springfield XDM 9mm and 45acp, and as nicely as I shoot them, I enjoy owning "steel" handguns. I appreciate Glock's reliability, but I absolutely cannot stand the feel of it. If I can't have a 1911, I would take a CZ 75 series or a Colt Python.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention...I bought a new 2013 Para USA Expert 1911 stainless(just came out). It looked good, felt good, and was a good price at $580 new, so I had to buy it and test it out. I have not had time to take good pictures yet, but will post soon.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The largest Sports and Outdoors show in the U.S. is cancelled (they're calling it postponed) after the British company that now puts on the event decides to ban semi-automatic weapons from the show.

Over 300 vendors decided to drop out of the show incl'g names like Cabella's, Bass Pro Shop, Ruger, S&W, NRA...

A couple of the articles out there:

Eastern Sports and Outdoors Show in Harrisburg halted after boycott - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Nation’s Biggest Sports and Outdoor Show Postponed Indefinitely Following Massive Boycott Over New Policy Banning Semi-Automatic Rifles | TheBlaze.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.