Any Free option to record screen with audio [mp4] Mojave?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I can use some help please. Trying to record a session with audio which can be saved in mp4 format, not finding a free option which is working, any referrals please?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I think Audacity is free or with a free option:

Audio Hijack is what I mainly use. Not sure there's a free version, but I think there's a free trial:

Ian

krs

Reaction score
Why not use Quicktime for screen recording with audio and then convert that file to mp4

OP
M
Reaction score
I am not seeing Audacity has recording screen option.

Yeah I was trying to avoid having to use Quicktime then convert but seems that most likely will be the way for me to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Why not use Quicktime for screen recording with audio and then convert that file to mp4

Just curious here, but do all the later versions of macOS since Catalina still actually support Quicktime???

I thought that with the release of macOS Catalina in October 2019, QuickTime was pretty well dead and unsupported. The end of a marvelous multimedia era...

BTW: a few free versions listed here:

Coccinella

Screen Recorder by Omi

And more listed when doing a search for "screen recorder" here:

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think the OP is interested in recording screen audio and video. Neither Audacity or Audio Hijack Pro will do that. Personally I think member krs has got the right idea.

@Patrick The newer versions of macOS all continue to support QuickTime under the title QuickTime Player. They do not support the older 32-bit QuickTime Player/Pro. The current versions of QuickTime support most/but not all of the file saving options/codecs that the earlier version did if someone purchased the pro version.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Patrick The newer versions of macOS all continue to support QuickTime under the title QuickTime Player.

Thanks for the info and clarification Sly.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
The function is built in, introduced in macOS Mojave is the Screen Capture function with sound accessed by pressing Command + Shift + 5.

That key combination brings up a tool bar at the bottom of the screen. See here;

After completion the recording will appear briefly in the bottom right corner of your screen for editing with eg. Markup in Preview. After a few more seconds it will be saved to your desktop by default. It will be in Quicktime Video format (MOV) but modern Apple MOV files that use H.264/AAC are MPEG-4 compatible. For a regular recording, they are practically the same, and you can rename the suffix without issues. No conversion needed. eg. Foo.mov → Foo.mp4

This is ideal for You Tube instructional videos and I have used this method several times myself for that purpose.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that info Rod.

I was about to post that the conversion to .mp4 occurs quickly. I had forgotten/did not realize that you could accomplish the same thing by changing the file extension.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I must admit I found that out by accident myself a while back reading an article on video file converters, specifically for MKV to DivX.
The Command + Shift + 5 function is one of the best new features Apple has introduced for a while. I use it all the time along with Preview and Notate.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hate to admit it but I've been a Mac user for decades, and an Apple II user before that, and I still don't remember most of those shortcuts.

krs

Reaction score
I hate to admit it but I've been a Mac user for decades, and an Apple II user before that, and I still don't remember most of those shortcuts.
Same here.
But unless one uses a specific shortcut a lot, is there any point trying to remember it?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use that key combination for all the screen shots I post on these forums. Screen shots no longer need to be resized in Preview and notation is so easy. I use it nearly every day.:D

OP
M
Reaction score
Whoa, I cannot believe believe that's all it took but THANK YOU!! I had spend a lot of time and efforts trying out different programs but always had some issue or the other.

Anyways guys, so it's capturing the audio is what's not working for me. This is what I am seeing when I use the shift-cmd-f5, can anyone possibly help me troubleshoot this please? maybe if you can simply send me a screenshot of your settings then I can copy it on my end?

Attachments

• IMG_4003.jpg
    IMG_4003.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hate to admit it but I've been a Mac user for decades, and an Apple II user before that, and I still don't remember most of those shortcuts.

After some 33 years of Mac usage, most shortcuts are finally embedded in my brain and for those I can't remember that I might need occasionally I keep a copy of a graph on my desktop for a quick spacebar key access similar to the favicon I keep for my Google Chrome keyboard shortcuts that I use and got from here:
Various Mac OS shortcut charts are available from here:

I guess if I knew how, I could also compact the Google Chrome shortcuts list to only include Mac shortcuts. Right now it's on my "Round Tuit" list to look into how to do so. One day... but I haven't needed to use the list too much recently, so I guess most of the codes I need and use often are stuck in my memory.

Anyway, the list is readily available on my desktop just a click or two away.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Screen shots no longer need to be resized in Preview...

Is that something new and only in recent versions of macOS that one doesn't need to do any resizing???

I have noticed some posted screenshots by some members are so small they are barely readable even when enlarged using Preview and then they often become blurry and unreadable.

At least it doesn't happen in all cases.

- Patrick
=======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick you get two choices, thumbnail or full size when you choose the Attach Files button on this site. I believe it is a function of this site rather than macOS.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mikehende, as per your screen shot, assuming you want to do a voiceover you need to select Built In Microphone.
When you say you want to record a "session" what are you referring to?

If it is the sound from an online or recorded media file source then Screen Capture will not work. The same applies to QuickTime, this could be fixed in the past with a system extension like Soundflower for Intel Macs but it hasn't been updated for APFS much less new Silicon Macs.

Here is an article that explains the issue better than I could. If you choose to try the last release of Soundflower or the more recent Blackhole you do so at your own risk. I do not recommend it personally but please at least do a full HD backup beforehand in case it all goes pear shaped.

Link removed (not working).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M
Reaction score
Hey Rod, when watching an online video say on YouTube or whatever or in a webinar and would like to record it, that is all I am seeking, nothing relating to microphone. So, is there any way I can record a playing online video or webinar with sound please?

Your link is not working on my end.

krs

Reaction score
The function is built in, introduced in macOS Mojave is the Screen Capture function with sound accessed by pressing Command + Shift + 5.
I use that a fair amount with the Mini running Mojave, but I just get the screen recording without sound.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.